Radio shack rectifier solution

tomflyer

Recruit
I have a 1996 Force 40hp recently purchased. The tach does not work and and at full power the volt meter in boat is showing almost 18 volts. I suspect rectifier problem. I would to like try the radio shack rectifier fix From reading the past forum posts I know where the 2yellow 1 red and 1 black wires attach to the radio shack rectifier. But not sure where the gray tach wire hooks up. Any ideas and does it sound like I am barking up the right tree. Not very savvy bench testing existing factory rectifier.

dan4081

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Radio shack rectifier solution

If you are getting 18 volts then I would think the rectifier is working correctly.
The rectifier only puts out voltage, it doesn't regulate it. The battery does.

What I would look at is make sure your connections, especially your ground to the battery is clean and solid.

Jiggz

Captain
Re: Radio shack rectifier solution

Obviously, the rectifier is working. What you need is if you are concerned with high voltage out (because some electronics gear shuts down or may burn down) you need a voltage regulator. But getting one is really pricey compare if you just get a universal rectifier/regulator unit. The gray wire that feeds signal to the tach connects to one of the two yellow wires.