1980 Chrysler charger 85hp, no power, can only go about 10 mph or so

marcpilot1

Recruit
Hi you all. I have an issue with my boat not going fast at all. I just got this boat, well my daughter found it for 500 buchs. Its a baja boat and a Chrysler 85hp outboard motor. It has the worh charger on the motor as well. It wouldnt start when she got it home. I cleaned the 3 carbs as best I could and now theyre like brand new. I shecked for fuel all the way to the carb rail thing. Well, it wpu;d only finally start and run for me when I changed the ngk plugs. Now she fores right up pretty well and we also went out on the lake yesterday. It did good for about 2 hours. HERES THE PROBLEM. After finally getting it to start at home, getting it to the lake and running for a while the boat never had any power. It was like when you run a car in 2nd gear or something. It just wont go fast. At all. I know it sat up last year and some time before that. Maybe a year and a half or two. But like I said, Its running great now. Just no power really. I changed the 3 plugs to the ngk ones the website said it needed. the ones in it were one letter off when you read the plugs letters. I cleaned the carb cups, the inside and everywhere on the carbs but they were really like brand new anyway. I put a brand new fuel filter in it. I checked for fuel to the carbs and its flowing great. I dont know what else to do. Anyone? Thanks for any guidance! A lot! Sorry this is so long. I just didnt want to leave anything out. (and im a newbie) Never had a boat in my life.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Chrysler charger 85hp, no power, can only go about 10 mph or so

Read the synchronizing sticky at the top of the forum and watch the tutorial video.