carb spewing fuel when prime bulb pumped

Mytox

Seaman Apprentice
Engine - 1992 Force 120 HP

Okay. Based on other posts, I think I've narrowed down the problem of the upper carb spewing fuel when I pump the the prime bulb or turn the motor over. Here's some history. I was trying to disconnect the fuel line feeding into the TEE connector on the bottom carb to change the in-line fuel filter and couldn't wiggle/pry the hose off ...was being very careful but never the less, ended up breaking the PLASTIC end off the bottom of the TEE. Jeepers Cripes....it's made of cheap plastic!!!!!!!!!!! What the heck were they thinking????? Anyway, me and my brilliant buddies decided we could jury-rig the fitting and epoxied the nipple back onto the fitting and I put everything back together, and headed down the road to a local lake with the son and son-in-law to go fishing. The motor fired up right away but was running rough. Took the cowl off and lo and behold the jury-rigged repair was leaking fuel, so shut the motor off, and trolled from the dock on the 4 horse kicker. Caught a few slimey Jacks (northern pike) in the weedy bays not far from the boat launch. We were going for whitefish and lake trout. Long story short....ordered a new BRASS fitting from Crowley Marine...took five weeks to get here (Yellowknife NWT), hooked everything back up, and now fuel spews from the upper carb when I pump the bulb. SO...likely a piece of PLASTIC crap from the busted TEE has plugged something up. Tomorrow the carb's coming off for inspection.

I'll keep you posted.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: carb spewing fuel when prime bulb pumped

The fuel coming from the carb, usually means the float is stuck.
Take the carb apart and clean it.
Possible a piece of dirt has found it's way into the seat.
I install a filter between the carb and the pump.

Nickmell

Seaman Apprentice

I know im my 115 the bowl gaskets are made of leather and over time stop sealing. Mine was doing the same thing untill I made new ones.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

His is leaking from the overflow.
Your gaskets must be realllllly old if they were leather?
Never saw leather?Not saying they aren't, just never saw it.

Nickmell

Seaman Apprentice

His is leaking from the overflow.
Your gaskets must be realllllly old if they were leather?
Never saw leather?Not saying they aren't, just never saw it.

That was on my 79 115 hp. They sure looked leather but not possitive,

Mytox

Seaman Apprentice

Took the float bowl off. Everything spotless. Blew air through all orifices etc. No constrictions. Float moves freely. Guess I need to keep taking things apart. Wish I had a manual. Ordering one as soon as I finish this post

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

CORK! The bowl gaskets were always and still are cork.

Mytox: Did you remove the new tee fitting and the needle seat then clean the inlet of the carb? If you have a press-in seat, blow a lot of air through it and check the rubber tip on the needle.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Mine weren't all cork.
Some were a black felt??
Not gonna take it off and look :)

Mytox

Seaman Apprentice

CORK! The bowl gaskets were always and still are cork.

Mytox: Did you remove the new tee fitting and the needle seat then clean the inlet of the carb? If you have a press-in seat, blow a lot of air through it and check the rubber tip on the needle.

Took er all apart and cleaned everything. It has a press-in seat - blew air through and it's clean. Except for a strange silvery deposit on the very end of the rubber tip on the needle, it appears as good as new. Cleaned and reinstalled. When held inverted I am now unable to blow air through the carb inlet, and when held upright, the needle drops from the seat as designed and the inlet functions correctly (air passes easily). I think the needle was sticking in the seat causing the original problem. Will hook everything back up tonight and test. I also read that if the motor is tilted up, it might cause the float not to function correctly, although I think if everything's sealed/seated properly, this shouldn't matter????

Thanks Frank

Randy (Mytox)

Mytox

Seaman Apprentice

Took er all apart and cleaned everything. It has a press-in seat - blew air through and it's clean. Except for a strange silvery deposit on the very end of the rubber tip on the needle, it appears as good as new. Cleaned and reinstalled. When held inverted I am now unable to blow air through the carb inlet, and when held upright, the needle drops from the seat as designed and the inlet functions correctly (air passes easily). I think the needle was sticking in the seat causing the original problem. Will hook everything back up tonight and test. I also read that if the motor is tilted up, it might cause the float not to function correctly, although I think if everything's sealed/seated properly, this shouldn't matter????

Thanks Frank

Randy (Mytox)

Hooray!!!!!! Hooked everything back up....pumped the prime bulb until full - no gas leaking anywhere, cranked it over without choke for 3 or 4 seconds to get things moving, applied the enricher and cranked 4 or 5 seconds, and voila......fired right up and ran like a swiss watch in the driveway. Let it run for 6 or 7 seconds and shut er down (didn't have it submersed or muffs attached). Time to take it out for a test drive. I'm only 2.5 minutes from the dock (Great Slave Lake).

NEXT- tilt and trim. Lower unit seems to be struggling. It's a '92 - 120 HP original unit and I've heard these can be finicky depending on oil grade. Any advice?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The 92 calls for the standard Prestolite unit.
It gets 30w oil.Filled while it's in the down position.
Running the motor without water for even 6 or 7 seconds can cost you an impeller.
Your unit comes with the newer style pump with the stainless insert.
I've found the impeller cooks quicker in them if ran without water.
Like you said:eek:nly 2.5 min from a lake.

Mytox

Seaman Apprentice

The 92 calls for the standard Prestolite unit.
It gets 30w oil.Filled while it's in the down position.
Running the motor without water for even 6 or 7 seconds can cost you an impeller.
Your unit comes with the newer style pump with the stainless insert.
I've found the impeller cooks quicker in them if ran without water.
Like you said:eek:nly 2.5 min from a lake.

Thanks Jerry. I'm going to look at the trim unit on Friday and was hoping to launch on Saturday for one last ride of the year before winter. It likely received the wrong oil when I had it serviced at the Merc dealer.

Sure hope I didn't fry the impeller. But what you're saying makes sense. It would have been dry when I turned the motor over. Maybe I'll just drag the whole rig to the end of the driveway and put a for-sale sign on it. Of course it might sell quicker if it had skis and handlebar warmers on it. Hmmmm....

Mytox

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Jerry. I'm going to look at the trim unit on Friday and was hoping to launch on Saturday for one last ride of the year before winter. It likely received the wrong oil when I had it serviced at the Merc dealer.

Sure hope I didn't fry the impeller. But what you're saying makes sense. It would have been dry when I turned the motor over. Maybe I'll just drag the whole rig to the end of the driveway and put a for-sale sign on it. Of course it might sell quicker if it had skis and handlebar warmers on it. Hmmmm....

After reviewing other posts, I guess I should pull the bottom end off and check the impeller before hitting the lake. No point in crisping the entire engine for 3 o 4 minutes of fun. I've never inspected the impeller before on this unit. Any tips on inspection (and part number and suppliers)? If I need to order a new impeller I doubt it'll get here before the snow flies. Oh well.

Thanks again guys. I'm an extreme novice and really appreciate the input from this site.

Rando

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Hook a hose to it or dunk it deep in a big bucket.
Needs to be at least 2-4 inches over the cavitation plate.
Or duct tape the muffs in place.

Mytox

Seaman Apprentice

After reviewing other posts, I guess I should pull the bottom end off and check the impeller before hitting the lake. No point in crisping the entire engine for 3 o 4 minutes of fun. I've never inspected the impeller before on this unit. Any tips on inspection (and part number and suppliers)? If I need to order a new impeller I doubt it'll get here before the snow flies. Oh well.

Thanks again guys. I'm an extreme novice and really appreciate the input from this site.

Rando

Dropped the bottom end and removed the water pump housing, and lo and behold, I've got problems. From what I can tell, the metal impeller housing (stainless steel?) is apparently supposed to lock into position in the plastic cover to enable the impeller to turn freely in the enclosure. The locking mechanism is missing, likely broken off from dry starting/turning over the engine??? I can't find a diagram of what the locking mechansim looks like, but I'm guessing it's a small punched out piece of metal brad from the impeller housing that protrudes from the 'bottom' and is suppossed to fit into a notch in the plastic housing to keep it stationary. I kind of think this has been the case for a while and I was really lucky to get back to the dock the last time I had the boat out. I'll try and attach some pictures if I can figure out how to to do that.

Mytox

Seaman Apprentice

Managed to upload one picture. I have a couple more showing the disassembled parts.

Attachments

• DSCN4076.jpg
    DSCN4076.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 0

Mytox

Seaman Apprentice

I had to reduce the size.

Attachments

• DSCN4112.JPG
    DSCN4112.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 0