85 HP 1988 Force steering issues

ootransamoo

Cadet
Good evening All. I just purchased my first boat and im just knocking out as much little things wrong with it now before i stow it for winter. Its a 1988 85 HP Force, im trying to troubleshoot the steering right now. So far i discontected the steering from the outboard and steering is still stiff even after checking for kinks and greasing up the rod assembly so im going to probably replace the whole assembly and helm unit. with the steering disconected i tryed moving the outboard side to side with that being diifcult too, so i might have to disassemble that pivot point and check it out. i found all zerk fittings not greased up so im guessing im going to have to replace some stuff at that pivot point aswell. where the outboard pivots , what is that called? and am i going a little overboard with replacing it all? just need some tricks of the trade if anyone has come across this before. Thank you in advance.

1988 blue fin sportman with teleflex steering
1988 85 hp force 85 (856y8b)

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 85 HP 1988 Force steering issues

Pivot point=king pin. Not fun but doable for a DIY'er. Try heat and grease first.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Fill out the profile,location??
You might be close to someone who can help?
Try a propane torch and heat it before you add grease.
You try to add grease it's just gonna push out the fitting.
The original fittings just pushed in. It will pop out easily.So HEAT first.
The kingpin has 2 bushings(plastic) and under them the kingpin rusts and it siezes.
Be careful. If you heat it too much the bushing melts and it won't ever turn.
I just did a job and it took almost 5 hours to loosen the motor.
I ended up with an acetelen torch and 5 new grease fittings.
I drilled on both sides of the top and bottom bosses.
Then using compressed air and heat.
Managed to force some oil in the shaft.
Then added the fittings and new grease.
It might not ever turn easy as it did when new but will loosen some.

ootransamoo

Cadet

well i took out the rack and pinon steering cable and assembly and it was stiff so im ordering a new one. For the pin boss issue all i had to do is loosen up the housing bolts on the lower and push some grease through and tighten back up, now its loose as a goose. Thanks for the input guys and hopefully this thread will help out someone with a similar problem.