how to adjust throttle lever poistion for force 85?

ShoalSurvivor

Petty Officer 1st Class
The throttle lever has to be pushed forward almost 60 degrees before the throttle starts to engage, and then WOT is at 90degrees. I would like to adjust it so that the acceleration is more gradual, or at least starts when the lever is closer to the mid position. What is the proper adjustment?

Is the adjustment in the remote control, or where cables attach to the engine? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to adjust throttle lever poistion for force 85?

What year Force? It makes a difference.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

It's possible that (under the bottom carb) the shift rod needs adjusting.
There are 2 nuts holding it.
I just did a job where someone bent the L shaped part at the bottom of the rod.
I had to undo the top screw and move the bottom one and then tighten the top down.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

OK! 87 is US marine control box and Teleflex standard cables with threaded ends.

You have the option of screwing the connectors both inside the control box and inside the engine onto or of the threaded ends. However, this will not appreciable change the throw of the control handle.

Inside the engine cowling there is a large spring loaded quick-connect for the throttle. It should be adjusted on the threaded end of the cable so that in neutral, about 3/16 of the spring loaded center section is pulled out of the body. The first movement of the control handle allows this section to retract back into the body. This allows the lower unit to shift into gear before the throttle starts to open. It also serves to maintain pressure on the timing tower to allow the engine to return to idle and keep the idle stop screw hard against the block.

Inside the control box there are multiple holes in the throttle lever. Using a hole closer to the center will allow less throw and mean more control handle movement for the same butterfly opening, thus giving finer throttle control.

ShoalSurvivor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! Here's a photo.
throttleshiftsturff.jpg

Can you point me to the "large spring loaded quick-connect for the throttle"?

This photo is in neutral. When I move the throttle lever forward, the shifter (top red cable) engages until the lever is at about 11:00 (viewing from inside boat). From there, I have to move the level to about 9:30 before the throttle cable even moves, and then WOT is at about the 8:30-9:00 position.

There just seems to be a lot of free play between when the shifter completes it's action, and the throttle cable moves.

Also, what is this button for:
white_button.jpg

thanks!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I adjusted the wrong thing.
Unhook the cable ends.
Shift the control end in N
Then shift the linkage and spin prop.end up in N.
Adjust the connectors so they line up.
Then adjust the neutral lockout so it lines up.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The green arrow points to the spring loaded quick-connect. If you are indeed in neutral I see two things: !. the quick-connect is already fully retracted. pulling it out some will only add more play to the control handle before the throttles start to open. 2. the cam on the shift lever (green arrow) which actuates the neutral interlock is not centered on the white button. This indicates that either the cam itself is incorrectly set or the shift linkage is incorrectly set.

If shifting is not correct, as jerry said, there is a set of two nuts under the bottom carb. If shifting is correct, the cam can be moved by loosening the two screws that hold it. As is appears now, you would seem to have trouble starting because the white button on the switch is not depressed. If you do not have trouble starting, then the cam is depressing the white button just enough to close the switch.

ShoalSurvivor

Petty Officer 1st Class

No problem starting at all. I can hear it click at neutral and the button appears fully depressed.

I now see the quick connects - wow, that would have made working on the control box a lot easier ;)

I will see if I can adjust the quick connect, now that I understand where the play is coming from.
Thanks for your help!

ShoalSurvivor

Petty Officer 1st Class

The interlock switch is being pressed cleanly when in neutral.

The throttle cam in the control box does not engage until the throttle lever is far forward. That's where the play seems to occur. It doesn't seem like the an adjustment to the engine side would matter if the cable is not moving.

Once this cam (see red arrow in pic) starts to move, the engine roars, but there's not much throttle space left between where it engages the throttle, and the lever position is physically restricted.
shifter.jpg
I'm already at the center hole, but it seems that moving it outward will cause the throttle to engage sooner, with increased throw, which should result in less movement for the same rpm.... I'll try that :)

ShoalSurvivor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome news! When I replaced the ignition switch, previously, I apparently failed to line up the thumbscrew on the control box. I'm not sure what it does, but when I realigned everything, it seemed to like that change because the throw changed completely. I think that'll fix the problem.

I'd like to move the control box. It can reach where I want it, but I have to shimmy the cables around because they are about a foot too long. What's the rule of thumb? if it reaches and the lever works - go for it... or don't stress that cables out too much?

ShoalSurvivor

Petty Officer 1st Class

nevermind..in searching I found my answer. What I was doing was unsafe and maybe illegal (sitting on seatback to see over windshield.). I was going to move the throttle up, butwill leave it as is :)