Question on 76 Chrysler 15 HP Impeller Change

Smiling Bob

Cadet
Two of the four stainless screws securing the water pump housing were froze and the screwdriver slots were buggered up. Took the lower unit to a buddy who owns an auto repair shop, he got them out with an impact driver and bit. Screws that had been installed measured 1 1/16 long were a couple threads short. Went to Menards and purchased four 1/4 -20 x 1 1/4 inch stainless flat head sockcet cap screws part #87348 for 59 cents each. They take a 5/32 allen wrench and fit the through drilled threaded portion perfectly.

The factory service manual calls for application of Never Seez T2987 to the water pump housing screws when reinstalling them. When I looked up the part number it apears this stuff is obsolete, what's a good substitute for this ? The manual also calls for a silicone rubber adhesive sealant to be applied to the spined area on the driveshaft when reinstalling the lower unit to the motor leg, any idea as to what's the best stuff to use?

Smiling Bob

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question on 76 Chrysler 15 HP Impeller Change

I use marine grease on the threads.
I use thread chasers and WD and clean them.
Then use a can of carb cleaner to clean out the screw holes and then compressed air to blow out the holes.
Most people use too much pressure when tightening the screws.
It needs only about 7-10 inch pounds.
The splines?? Never heard of silicone on the splines.
I always thought high pressure grease or again marine grease.
Never seize is actualy Anti-Seize available at most auto parts stores.