1971 chrysler 105 HP no spark

jcbailey01

Recruit
Hello all. New to this board but it looks like you all know what you're talking about. Have a 1971 chrysler 105 hp 2 stroke and not getting any spark. Has an igniton box and distributer with points. Changed out 4 boxes and still no spark. The boxes were given to us so no harm. New to the outboard world so heres the question. Can the ignition system be converted to standard ign with a ballast resistor and a condenser? Why is an ignition box needed? We are getting no power to the coil from the box and the boxes are expensive and hard to find. Any input would be appreciated. And by the way, what does the cd in cd ignition stand for?
MagnaPower I with beltdriven distributer

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Re: 1971 chrysler 105 HP no spark

Yes you can change to oldschool battery ign.system with points and capacitor.
But have you try to troubleshot the CD ign.system. 4 bad CD boxes sounds odd.
Outboardignition.com or CDI electronic.com has the troubleshotchart. This systems is easy to throubleshot.
Maybe you have a bad coil or no power (12V) from keyswitch or wireterminal or something else tha is simple to fix.

CD in CD ignition stand for CAPACITOR DISCHARGE. Simple explain as you charge a capacitor in the box by transforming it from 12VDC up to about 300VDC and then discharge it in to the coil. The points in the distributor or electronic eay if it has one is the trigger for the discharge.

jcbailey01

Recruit

ok thanks for the info ill try that here a image of my wiring on the boat motor

Attachments

• boat motor 2.jpg
    boat motor 2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 3

jcbailey01

Recruit

is there anyway I can convert it to a car coil? I have power going to the cd unit but no power coming out of it

Last edited:

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you have a dizzy with points, it is an easy conversion to car coil, my son has the same motor with a single terminal on the dizzy,

l would put up pics of it but it is currently interstate and won't be here for weeks,,
l'm sure there are threads about it here

you may have other problems though

merkurfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

eliminate the points as the cause of the problem. remove the white wire with black tracer and do the scratch test (I drag it along the side of the distributor) this should produce sparks..

4 dead boxes while not unheard of is unusual.