1984 Chrysler 35 hp carb with press in seat

autotec

Seaman
I have a 1984 35 hp (model # 357H4P) Chrysler with a carb problem. When I started redoing the pontoon, I knew the carb leaked gas, but I figured it was a simple cleaning. The new floor, carpet, console and seats are in, and it's set to almost go into the water. But after searching, I found out that the carb on my outboard has a press in seat and it's not repairable. Are there any other options out there besides buying a different carb? I was hoping to have this in the water in a few days. Any advice or info would be great. I just can't believe there isn't a source for this part.

Thank you,

Justin

Nordin

Commander
Re: 1984 Chrysler 35 hp carb with press in seat

As you says it is press in typ it is a brasseat? Or is it a rubber o-ring typ.
Is the brass worn? Usually this typ do not get worn, but the tip at the needle does. It is made of rubber.
Check the needletip for knicks or wornness.
I have worked on Chrysler and Force engine for more then 15 years and never seen a worn brasseat.

wickware

Lieutenant

Can you post a few pictures showing this matter? A good close Pic of the brass seat and needle?s tip.

autotec

Seaman

Thanks for the replys. It has a rubber type seat that is held in with a small snap ring. I just assumed this was what people meant when they say a press in seat. There isn't a brass part where the rubber goes in. I'll take a few pictures and post them. Thanks again

autotec

Seaman

Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• carb 1.jpg
    carb 1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 0
  • carb 2.jpg
    carb 2.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 0
  • carb 3.jpg
    carb 3.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 0

wickware

Lieutenant

Is that rubber seat as rough as it looks? If so that might be your problem.

Also make sure your float is parallel with your carb when held assembled up-side-down as being properly adjusted.

autotec

Seaman

Is that rubber seat as rough as it looks? If so that might be your problem.

Also make sure your float is parallel with your carb when held assembled up-side-down as being properly adjusted.

It's worse than it looks in the picture. That is why the carb is leaking gas out of the vent, but that's the part I can't seem to find. At least it doesn't show that part in any of the rebuild kit pictures. I've just never seen a seat that didn't thread into a carb.

autotec

Seaman

I think I found the parts under the exploded diagram for a 25 hp engine. The part # for the seat is 820719. Maybe this carb is off of a smaller engine? Or maybe someone changed the engine itself. Any ideas?

wickware

Lieutenant

Nordin?s parts ref will probably come soon. Otherwise I can see a small engine?s repair shop having a rubber seat that should work. I have pressed some rubber seats in Briggs w/o the snap ring. I would still use the snap ring even though the seats usually swells due to gasohol and can cause starvation.

autotec

Seaman

Nordin’s parts ref will probably come soon. Otherwise I can see a small engine’s repair shop having a rubber seat that should work. I have pressed some rubber seats in Briggs w/o the snap ring. I would still use the snap ring even though the seats usually swells due to gasohol and can cause starvation.

It shows that the parts are still available, I may order them and take the chance. Worse that can happen is I have a few parts I can donate to someone else.

Nordin

Commander

Yes, the 25Hp has the same partnumber for the inletneedle seat as your 35Hp.
FranzMarine will give you advice. He has everything that is available for Chrysler/Force OB.

autotec

Seaman

Yes, the 25Hp has the same partnumber for the inletneedle seat as your 35Hp.
FranzMarine will give you advice. He has everything that is available for Chrysler/Force OB.

Thank you for the reply. I received all the parts today and plan on installing them, if I feel good enough. Somehow I cought a nasty cold even though is great outside. I'm betting my daughter just starting school has something to do with it. Again thank you for the advice everybody.

Justin