1988 Force 35 HP steering problem

JEFF MURRAY

Cadet
The issue im having is I can not get my motor to turn lock to lock in both directions, a little history, the boat was originally set up as a tiller steer, I bought the motor, I built and installed a center console, I installed a new helm, steering cable, controls etc. over the last month or so I ve purchased two different steering rods (supposably for this motor - 88 force 35 hp) ones about an inch longer than the other, they both fit but possess the same problem. I can adjust everything that can be adjusted and get the motor to full lock in either direction but not both , tonight i even temporarly extended the shaft that runs thru the steering tube by 2" with pretty much the same results. The rivers I fish are pretty narrow so a tight turning radius is a must, Iv'e worked on the issue for 3 weeks and im at the end of my rope here, anyone have any suggestions ?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Force 35 HP steering problem

Are you using the hole closes to the cowling on the steering nose? Is there a hole inside the cowl like on the bigger engines? Is there a boss inside the cowl so you can drill another 3/8 hole for the steering rod? Is there clearance between the cowl and the transom clamps to clear the steering rod and bolt if you do drill this hole?

Is the steering cable centered in the helm? You should have about three to three and one half turns in each direction when the push rod at the engine is centered.

Last edited:

JEFF MURRAY

Cadet
Re: 1988 Force 35 HP steering problem

Are you using the hole closes to the cowling on the steering nose? Is there a hole inside the cowl like on the bigger engines? Is there a boss inside the cowl so you can drill another 3/8 hole for the steering rod? Is there clearance between the cowl and the transom clamps to clear the steering rod and bolt if you do drill this hole?

Is the steering cable centered in the helm? You should have about three to three and one half turns in each direction when the push rod at the engine is centered.

Frank, thanks very much for your reply, your reply was a good thought starter, I put a hole inside the cowl about 2" rearward of the steering nose, hooked up my rod and problem solved, I now have full lock to lock steering !! thank you again for the thought starters