1993 Cajun, Force 70hp, couple questions.

JBishop

Cadet
hello all,

first time posting, great site and has helped me much thus far. Was given this boat a few weeks ago, took it to the lake the day after I got it and she ran like a champ. I have spent a couple weeks on new decking and carpet and a few minor issues and about finished up and ready to see if it will catch any fish. Having a issue with the trim on it. It starts out very slow and will at times pick up and go up and down as should. Seems that when the boat is in the water it will only go very slow, on the trailer you can get it to go by toggling between up and down until it starts going right. There was a crack in the top of the trim motor which I sealed and replaced fluid, still having same issue. Is it time for a new motor ? my guess is the motor is probably rusted or weakened due to the water getting in for however long it was cracked. The boat runs and was free so I am will not be upset if I have to sink a few bucks in her but if there is another way, well every penny counts these days.

thanks in advance.

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 1993 Cajun, Force 70hp, couple questions.

Be mindful the tilt & trim system works this way. Starts slow when filling the trim cylinder since it is a larger piston and then accelerates after fully raising the trim to fill the tilt. The tilt only works when the boat is out of the water or idling in gear on water. The trim works either way. The crack on the top of the motor is a concern. You might want to do an open and inspect first. However, the fact that it turns on it tells me it is still working.

JBishop

Cadet

thanks Jiggz,
maybe my terminology is incorrect in my original post ( tilt vs trim). forgive me as I am a new boat owner. I am not clear on the difference in the two. I am talking about the motor coming up and going down. I understand that it will go slow initially , makes sense but this is really slow and does not sound right until it picks up and goes. First time I had it out it seemed to work ok. if I put it all the way down and gun it, when I get on plane it seems like it is bareley ( if at all at times) trimming back up. I will look up the difference in tilt and trim to further educate myself, in the meantime. I a going to drain and refill the trim motor. am I correct that you simply remove drain plug, and refill it in the same hole or do you refill it by taking the top of the motor off ? I assume it is like a differential in a truck, fill it until it starts coming out the hole ?

thanks

Jiggz

Captain

You refill it on the same hole just like a differential. Maybe if you can post some pics it will be much easier to discuss by making sure we are referring to the same item. Remember, not all tilt and trim systems have both. Others only have the tilt while others only the trim although most have both. The trim is for trimming the boat either to have the bow ride high for easier planing, or make the bow ride low to overcome waves but mostly just for even keel ride. The trim is located lower while the tilt is higher and only used to raise the engine for transporting or before docking in shallow waters.

JBishop

Cadet

Ok thank you. I will take a photo asap and post it.

JBishop

Cadet

Cant seem to upload a photo from my phone. Will try again tomorrow when i get back to civilization and have internet.

JBishop

Cadet

Hopefully I uploaded correctly. If so , this is the trim motor in question. Seemed to be working perfectly last night, out of the water. thanks

trim.jpg

Jiggz

Captain

From the pics, I can see the motor with pump and also what appears to be a tilt cylinder. Is there another cylinder at the bottom? If there is that is the trim cylinder which has a wider body but shorter ram or rod. If you suspect water leakage, it will be better you do an open and inspect and clean as necessary. And then clean up all the old sealant and replaced it with marine grade silicone sealant and cover up the entire motor's seams or joining surfaces with flex seal which is black rubber spray sealant. If the problem persists, check your connections integrity.

JBishop

Cadet

here is a better photo. Only one cylinder, unless it is a ninja cylinder or I am dumber than I think. I will disassemble and clean it up. anything to be mindful of when taking pump out of housing ? thanks for al the help

trim2.jpg

Jiggz

Captain

OK, so what you have is just a tilt cylinder which is only used for tilting the motor when trailering. The cylinder has a small ram and isn't capable of trimming or tilting the motor while running at medium and high speed. Besides your outboard motor should have a bar or rod (locks the motor in place) to set the trim (manually adjusted according to load and sea state through the set of holes on the clamp)) while underway. No wonder it is not working properly while in the water.

JBishop

Cadet

Understood and thank you for the insight, however it will not work properly with the boat in the water, sitting still or at idle. It only seems to catch and work after toggling btwn up and down while on the trailer. At any rate, i plan to take it apart and inspect/clean this weekend. Thanks again.

Jiggz

Captain

Just in case there is something wrong with the motor and not salvageable I'm quite sure they are available on ebay or amazon for less than $100, albeit Chinese made.