1988 force 50 starts with no choke

MattVT

Cadet
Hi All,
My force 50 prefers to start with no choke, only advanced throttle. When I use just the advance throttle (a tiny advance) it fires right up no problem. When I tried using the choke it seemed to want to flood. Also it will backfire or miss (not sure which) for about 15-30 secs after start.
It sure seems like a trivial thing but I wanted to ask the experts in case it was significant of something I'm not aware of.

Thanks to all the folks here.

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 1988 force 50 starts with no choke

Personally, I would first verify the idle mixture screw is not set too high. It is supposed to be one turn out from slightly seated. And then I will check the plugs make sure they are not fouled. If the plugs are fouled you probably also have a high carbon build up in the pistons and heads. I'm surmising it is missing while it is still cold due to either fouled plugs or carbon build up.

MattVT

Cadet

Thank you Jiggz. I just replaced the plugs and ran the gas out of the fuel line. It still acted the same. I'll check the idle mixture screw next. I also plan on running a good carb cleaning asap.

Jiggz

Captain

Thank you Jiggz. I just replaced the plugs and ran the gas out of the fuel line. It still acted the same. I'll check the idle mixture screw next. I also plan on running a good carb cleaning asap.

In addition to the idle mixture screw, double check the choke butterflies making sure they are in full horizontal.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If it starts without the choke??
What's the problem??? :)
Backfiring for 15-30 seconds is probably the air/fuel mix.
Set it at 1 and 1/2 tuns out.
Then in the water,motor running,in gear.
Turn the air screw in 1/8th turn and wait 10 seconds(10 seconds burns the gas at the old setting)
Do this step until the motor kicks,buck or stalls.
Then out 1/2 turn.
Top post is a post from FrankA. Called a linc and sinc.
It sets the carb and linkage.

MattVT

Cadet

Thanks Jerry,
I knew I'd be getting some ribbing for a question about a boat that starts too easily!
Seriously though, I will follow all these suggestions for the gas/air issue. Also a carb cleanout as the boat is new to me.
Thanks again for all your time.