timing a 1988 force 125

tigger19

Cadet
what kind of timing gun can i us on these 2 cycle motors? can i us a regulare automotive timing gun or do i need to us a special timing gun.this is what happend. i am new to boating and these engines and i notice it was idealing alittle high so i adjusted the ideal from the rode that goes to the timing tower to the carb linkage. so now i am trying to see how bad i messed everything up. i have learned a very big lesson so far read before you make adjustments.

tigger19

Cadet
Re: timing a 1988 force 125

can anybody help me or lives close to florence az that could give me a hand

tigger19

Cadet

i have watched that and learned alot from that just didn't know about the timing light

Jiggz

Captain

i have watched that and learned alot from that just didn't know about the timing light

Actually the timing light is the same as any inductive type automotive timing light. The one that has a clamp and clamps on #1 spark plug. If you have not done this you can still try to familiarize yourself by hooking up the light as shown in the video with the engine running just to see how it works. And then you can go back and do the timing as shown in the video.

tigger19

Cadet

i have timed cars and trucks just not boats. i took my boat to a marina and they still haven't touched it i will be back in state in a week and if they don't have it done when i get back then i am picking it up and doing it all my self, i am new to the boating world and still trying to figure it all out. i wasn't sure if the regular timing light will work with a 2 cycle motor. thank u everyone for the help

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

There are steps to take so you don't ruin the packs.
Before you turn it over to check the timing.
Make sure the steps are followed.
The grounding of the plugs is the most important.