1975 75 hp Chrysler kicked hard into transom then started bouncing when in forward.

74imperialV173

Recruit
1975 75 hp Chrysler O/B Model 757HA, in the water have problems with the motor kicking hard into transom and then bouncing up and down after engaging the throttle forward. Once the motor seemed to lock into gear the boat will begin to move forward. It actually cracked my transom (which I now suspect was rotten to begin with). Does any one have any suggestions on what this could be and where I should start to fix the issue? I'm new to the boating world so not sure where to start. Thanks.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 75 hp Chrysler kicked hard into transom then started bouncing when in forwa

Well, you may have several causes: If the engine does not have power trim/tilt. there may be a poor adjustment on the reverse lock clamp causing it to bounce onto the tilt bar. The shift linkage and throttle may be out of synch causing it to slip out of gear until a higher throttle position is selected.

Search posts on this problem and watch the video at the top of the forum.

74imperialV173

Recruit
Re: 1975 75 hp Chrysler kicked hard into transom then started bouncing when in forwa

It does not have power trim/tilt. There does seem to be a lag when moving the throttle forward and the engine picking up speed. I will definitely check out the video and search the forum on this issue. I just came across a post mentioning a dog clutch. If mine is worn could it cause the same issue of kicking too?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yes, worn dogs can cause jumping in and out of gear, but it gets worse the faster you try to go. You, however stated that once you start to go it seems to get better, leading me to think it is an adjustment issue.

74imperialV173

Recruit

Thanks, This had definitely given me a direction to go. Now on to replacing the transom and making the adjustments. :faint2: