1997 Force 120 Lower Unit Shaft, Seals

JSpann

Cadet
I recently discovered blue-green gear oil seeping from the water intake holes in the front of the lower unit. Draining the gear oil, I got a lot of clear water before getting milky oil followed by blue-green oil. I ordered the seal kit from iboats, then set about figuring out where everything goes.

I started by shifting the control handle into the fully forward position, then removed the 5 nuts holding the lower unit in place. A few gentle taps with a rubber mallet and a block of wood got things moving in the right direction. I carefully removed the lower unit and carried it into the garage where I mounted a homebrew jig in a bench vise and C-clamped the lower unit into the jig. I removed the water pump housing and the shifter top housing, being careful not to rotate the shifter. The water leak problem turned out to be the top seal under the water pump. The drive shaft seals and the shifter seal and O-ring proved easier than I expected, so I installed the new parts and reassembled the water pump housing with its new gaskets (I had replaced the impeller a couple of months ago). I rotated the drive shaft by hand a quarter turn or so to get the key aligned with the keyway in the impeller before tightening everything down.

That's when everything started going sideways. I got a block of wood to block the prop so I could remove the prop nut, and I tried to turn the driveshaft clockwise to rotate the prop into position to hold the block in place. The driveshaft was locked up. There is a little play, but beyond maybe 1/16 of a turn either direction, it hits a solid obstacle (metallic clank) of some sort. I went ahead and removed the prop, the propshaft carrier and the propshaft, then looked inside to see if I could see any obstruction to the driveshaft's rotation. Nothing obvious appeared. The play in the shaft rotated the gear a fraction of a turn as well, and there are no visible obstructions.

Next I started working on removing the propshaft seals from the outer end of the carrier. Did the factory glue those seals in place, or what!? My cheap junk slide hammer with its seal removal arms would not adjust the arms out firmly against the sides of the seal, so I managed to mangle the outer seal without budging it. Does anyone have any suggestions short of throwing the Force 120 into the nearest dumpster? I'm just about at my wits' end.

Any help with unlocking the drive shaft and removing the seals from the propshaft carrier will be greatly appreciated!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1997 Force 120 Lower Unit Shaft, Seals

Is it possible to take a long rod or screw driver and insert it in the opposite end of the carrier assy. and place it against the edge of the seal and tap it out with a hammer? You might also try heating up the carrier assy. with a propane torch to expand it so the seal might come out easier.

JSpann

Cadet

I'll have to look at that in the morning. There's a bearing behind the seals, and that may inhibit my access to the back side of the seals. Not too sure about heating that cast aluminum. I'd hate to warp something, but it may come down to trying that.

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yes I wouldn't put too much heat on it. If the seal has a metal lip that you can catch with a long screw driver, you just might be able to get it. Make sure that the carrier assy. itself is being held good and solid. You want to strike the seal with enough force to break it free. If the carrier assy. moves at all when you hit the seal, it'll absorb the impact and lower the affect of the hit.

JSpann

Cadet

Thanks, pnwboat, for the suggestion to approach the seals from the back side. I did a little impromptu engineering and built a tool from an old lawnmower steering arm to allow me to get around the bearing behind the seals and get enough bite on the seal lip to get them out.

DSCN6223.jpg

DSCN6224.jpg

The new seals are now in place, and the prop is back on, so now I need some help on the driveshaft lockup as reported in the original post.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Hmmm, there isn't much to the lower units. I can't think of anything off hand that would cause it to lock up. I assume the lower unit was turning fine before you replaced the seal below the water pump?

Have you tried to rotate the shift rod to see if that has any affect. Make sure you mark it in some way so that you can return it to it's original position and don't over rotate it.

Is it possible that the drive shaft bearing just below the water pump is seized? The last couple of lower units that I've worked on had that particular bearing go bad. It is located at the very top of the reservoir of oil that sits in the lower unit. If the lower unit oil is not completely topped off, that bearing will run dry. Did you notice if there was any signs of water entering the lower unit by the bearing just below the water pump?

JSpann

Cadet

Apparently the driveshaft wasn't perfectly meshed with a gear in the lower unit, and that was enough to make it feel as though it was locked up. I twisted with two hands on the upper part of the shaft, and it worked past the bind and rotated freely.

Thanks for all the help!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Glad it was something simple.

JSpann

Cadet

I certainly am... something simple, that is. :rolleyes:

Next question deals with the shifter alignment when putting the lower unit back on the engine. I got my wife to turn the flywheel for me so I could stab the driveshaft, but after several attempts I've still not gotten those darn shifter splines aligned. Yes, I exercised extreme care not to move the shifter shaft on the lower unit while it was off, and nobody has been around to mess with the control handle on the boat. There's gotta be some secret to getting that thing back together.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Usually it just takes a little wiggling on the throttle handle. There may have been some tension on the shift rod when you pulled the lower unit off, so the splines don't quite line up when you go to put it back on. Once it's in, double check test to make sure when the throttle handle is in sync with the gear case before you take it out on the water.

JSpann

Cadet

Still no joy. I tried it several times yesterday afternoon, finally discovering that the repeated attempts had dinged the ends of the splines where they couldn't engage. Pulled it all apart and carefully filed the dings off the ends of the splines on the lower unit and inside the union piece. I'll be back at it this morning after my other chores.

JSpann

Cadet

GOT IT! In desperation I tried putting the throttle lever and the lower unit in neutral (confirmed by spinning the prop), and it fell right into place! I tightened the bolts to pull the lower unit all the way up, then confirmed shifter engagement by putting the throttle lever into forward and turning the flywheel to see which way the prop turned. Repeated for reverse, and it's apparently good to go!

Thanks again, pnwboat, for your patient assistance.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I think you deserve the credit for not giving up! Fortunately it paid off in the end. Happy boating!

JSpann

Cadet

I ordered a Clymer service manual for Force engines, so maybe now I'll never need to work on it again. That's worked pretty well with my truck and tractor at least. Until I bought manuals, I was having to work on them all the time. Got the manuals, and no more work needed.

mandasboat

Cadet

I ordered a Clymer service manual for Force engines, so maybe now I'll never need to work on it again. That's worked pretty well with my truck and tractor at least. Until I bought manuals, I was having to work on them all the time. Got the manuals, and no more work needed.

Hey bud how much did you spend on the clymer manual?

Found one at local marine shop for 50.00 thought that was a bit high?

JSpann

Cadet

I ordered mine from Amazon. $27.03 shipped. Should be here tomorrow.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Someone posted a link to the manuals???