Water leak inside engine cowl-50 hp Force

djsforce

Seaman
On the first boat ride of my vacation and I discovered water in the engine compartment. It was wet all over including some milkyness in the carb. With the cowling off and the engine running, I could see water coming out underneath where the alarm buzzer is on the cylinder head. It is a tough area to get a clear view of exactly where it is coming from. Enough water comes out that it puddles in the back area. The high temp alarm did not go off, I could not smell/see any exhaust in the engine area when the engine is running. The engine still runs and idles well with the cowling off. I have read some of the threads related to water issues and I can't decide if I should re-do the exhaust gasket (doesn't sound like fun) or remove the cylinder head to check that gasket. Can a head gasket give good compression and still leak water? Or could it be the engine to spacer plate gasket and I should remove the powerhead? Your thoughts/ideas are appreciated

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Water leak inside engine cowl-50 hp Force

Check your head bolts for proper torque.

djsforce

Seaman
Re: Water leak inside engine cowl-1994 50 hp Force

Re: Water leak inside engine cowl-1994 50 hp Force

Check your head bolts for proper torque.
Thanks, they all check out fine at 225 in/lbs and the head gasket was done about 3 years ago. I'm thinking of pulling off the powerhead, replace the spacer plate gasket and have a good look at the exhaust gasket and then decide whether or not to do it. With other threads there are a couple of 50 hp's with the spacer plate gasket needing replacement. Does this sound like a plan?

foodfisher

Captain

Sounds like you've done your homework, and with no other input, I'd say that's the plan. Good Luck.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

That sounds like the water jacket is leaking.
Not the head or head gasket.
Unfortunatly the head bolts have to be taken loose to get the jacket off.
So you don't have to buy a new gasket. Just loosen all the bolts and see if the jacket comes off with out removing the head?
If you break the seal??? One tiny bit?? You should replace.

djsforce

Seaman

Thanks. I've looked at the diagrams on ********** and is the water jacket is tube that directs the water at the bottom of the cylinder head? The diagrams don't show it, but when looking at the cylinder head-the head itself is two pieces with a gasket. Is this were the water jacket is? I'd feel better working with the head gasket as removing the powerhead is new territory for me.

djsforce

Seaman

IMG-20130902-00132.jpg I ended up taking the cyclinder head off and as you can see by the pictrure the gasket under the power head is the one leaking. At least now I know for sure where the problem is. It was a big job to remove the powerhead, as I've never tackled anything like it before (about 4 hrs for removal). Gaskets on order. The true test will be putting it all back together.....and have it run :) This forum is awesome, it kind of makes me feel like I'm a mechanic!

Superdork

Recruit

djsforce,
Did you hear a high pitched but quiet whisling sound coming from your engine?
My friend has a 98 40hp Force that is getting water into the inside of the cover, and is not running well.
I think it maybe a exhuast, or head gasket leak.

Thanks.

djsforce

Seaman

Hey Super-mine didn't make any different noises. It ran well with the cover off. After a ride at full speed (cover on) it would stall, but you could see the water had gotten in the carb and it was milky inside. I have no experience with the exhaust gasket, but from reading posts I hope I don't have to. If your friends runs poorly (with the cowling off) have you tried a compression test? A good place to start and post you results.

djsforce

Seaman

I ended up replacing the spacer plate gaskets (above and below), head gasket and exhaust gaskets. I kept debating doing the exhaust gasket. I eventually checked the bolts and I could move all of them without issue so I proceeded. With the exception of the head gasket, all were crumbling and had to be scraped/chipped off. I added a missing exhaust pipe bolt, fixed a striped bolt holding the fuel pump and secured the snout. The snout only had one loose screw holding it. It took me a long time, I took pictures and sticky notes everywhere. The sweet sound of success was turning the key and it firing right up. Hoping to have earned a trouble free season next year!