Chrysler 45hp wiring and drive questions

nitrotweaker

Cadet
I just got this boat for cheap. 15ft areoglass. It has a 45 hp chrysler on it and it runs like a champ. But I have a couple of problems. 1 none of the eletrical works other than the motor itself. Horn and lights are inop. From what I can tell there is power but no ground. The wiring at the motor has be baffled. Power and ground are reverse so I am not sure how the system works. I do not want to run new wires . The next problem is that the motor comes out of the water in reverse and I am not sure whats missing. There is a spring hook things the back side of the motor but I think theres something else missing. Thanks for looking

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Chrysler 45hp wiring and drive questions

Some good close Pics related to your matters would help see what is missing and etc. Such as:

1. Good Close Pics of the back of your switch showing what color wires are connected to what letters or tell info.

2. I "Personally" would like to know the basic grounding rules that I?m not following in Clymer manual.

3. Showing the wiring diagram on the motor, close to see assigned colors.

4. Show the Clamps (2) that locks the motor ?Spring Loaded down" to a bar horizontal to water/ground.

5. Show the release knob in front center of motor that releases motor up (hidden by a hook, wood in background) under carb.

6. I attached a electrical diagram vs it being my model but might help.

I will show some related Pics on my 1970 35hp Chrysler (some 35 -55hp are related). What are your year, model and serial #? All my pics will not show the best but close to the area needed.

Attachments

• 1970 Chrysler 35HP Switch 2010 Check-up 2-3.JPG
    1970 Chrysler 35HP Switch 2010 Check-up 2-3.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1970, 35 HP Chrysler Mag Ignition System (6).JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler Mag Ignition System (6).JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
  • CHRY35_50_80_84[1].jpg
    CHRY35_50_80_84[1].jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Planned & Un-Planned Projects, adding new fuel line.JPG
    Planned & Un-Planned Projects, adding new fuel line.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Boats Motor Mount Damage & Repair  6.jpg
    Boats Motor Mount Damage & Repair 6.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

12.jpgNeed to know what year and serial#.
Under the cowl in the front of the motor by the carb is a metal tag.
Fill out the profile,location?
You might be close to someone who can help?
Usually the motor and it's connections have NO connection to the lights,horn and bildge pump.
The boat could have a seperate wire that runs from the battery to the dash?(I'd guess this one)
Some run a jumper from the HOT side of the ignition switch?
The reverse jump: the motors probably missing the lock down parts.(year/model#)
#40/42/43/44/91 on the parts diagram is probably what you need to fix the problem.
YOU!! Can fix this easily.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yes, A couple of photos would help immensely. You MAY have one of the very early Chrysler engines that were manufactured as POSITIVE GROUND engines.

You can easily run a piece of good twine or wire rope from the spring loaded plate up through the hole in the front of the tilting yoke (underneath the steering nose). Then you pull up on the plate as you lower the engine and the plate will lock on top of the lock bar if it (the lock bar) is there. If it is missing, the lock bar should be a bent piece of 3/8 or 7/16 diameter stainless steel. Buy it at your local welding shop.

Last edited:

wickware

Lieutenant

Jerry, Is there a link to your diagram or a pic that will zoom clearer? Thanks!