New Starter 85 HP Force. Is it working correctly?

rkinner

Recruit
Just replaced the starter on my 1989 85 HO Force with an $80 one from Taiwan that I got via Amazon. Was a bit of a chore since the new starter had nuts on the mounting screws that had to be removed in order to get it to fit correctly. When I removed the nuts the thing tried to come apart. I managed to keep it together and install the thing. The motor starts right up but the star wheel disengages from the flywheel rather quickly on those few times when it doesn't start right away. Is this normal or should I send it back? The old starter (original) would run quite a while before disengaging. I'm new to electric start outboards so don't have any experience to go by. (My last outboard was a pull start 35 HP Evinrude of 1960's vintage.)

Also what lube (if any) should I use on the star wheel teeth?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: New Starter 85 HP Force. Is it working correctly?

That star wheel is called a bendix. No lube needed. Make sure your battery is fully charged.

Jiggz

Captain

Yes, the bendix gear is designed to disengage if the motor "coughs" or tries to start without fully starting. What you want to make sure is you follow correct starting procedures, i. e.
1. Place control lever in fast idle
2. Choke and start and hold until engine starts or "coughs" but no more than 10 seconds
3. If no start but it coughs, try again but this time without choking. Normally it would start within 2~4 tries.

rkinner

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. The battery is brand new and was fully charged. I don't think I can get 10 seconds before the bendix disengages which is what worries me. The motor has always been a fast starter. Sometimes on the first try but always by the second. Right now it has no gas so can't start but the starter still disengages very quickly. Just wondered if that was normal or if the starter is defective.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Some starters are WEAK and kick out prematurely.
Yours being new shouldn't have done that?
The compression if good will cause the starter to kick out.
The 2 long screws with the nuts?The starter shouldn't have come apart unless you removed the screws.
The top cover should be threaded and the unit stays together.
Possible it's the wrong starter? or the wrong parts.
Or you removed the 2 screws?

rkinner

Recruit

Some starters are WEAK and kick out prematurely.
Yours being new shouldn't have done that?

That's what I am worried about. The starter continues to spin once the bendix releases.

The 2 long screws with the nuts?The starter shouldn't have come apart unless you removed the screws.
The top cover should be threaded and the unit stays together.
Possible it's the wrong starter? or the wrong parts.
Or you removed the 2 screws?

I did not remove the screws - just the nuts. The screws were not threaded into the top cover like they should be. The packaging claims it's the right starter and other than the two nuts, it fits perfectly.

I still have the old starter. It works fine except the rubber gasket inside the bendix came out and jammed the bendix so it wouldn't engage. A new bendix would have been $50 so I bought the replacement starter but starting to think I made a mistake.

It started working. The bendix is staying up. Not sure why. I cleaned all of the cable and battery contacts and made sure everything was tight. Had no effect that I could see. I did spray it with silicone lube but that was about 30 minutes before it suddenly started working. Going to let it go and hope it works when we go out. Thanks to all who replied. (now I have to replace the hubs).

Last edited:

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also check ur ground low voltage early kickout not going up all are issues with voltage /ground 9 out of ten times.a starter wont ingage with less then 9.6 volts and wont work correctly withought 10.4 volts mine wont start without 10.8 volts

rkinner

Recruit

I had my wife hold the switch while I measured the voltage at the starter. 13 before trying to start. It dropped down to 11 then went up to 11.65 when the bendix disengaged. Haven't measured it since it started working again. Think I will keep a set of jumper cables in the boat so I can bypass the starter solenoid just in case.

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also the ground i found if u jump ground to battery from starter this will tell u if the ground is bad im asumming it grounds to block at bottom this connection can be tempermental