1994 70 hp Force Tilt & Trim ?????

tux

Cadet
My Tilt & trim stopped working in both directions.in the past it was a relay switch but would work in one direction and I could switch the blue green wires to reverse direction . now nothing. Could both of the relays have gone at the same time? And is it fused in line or other? If it is fused where is it? It is on a 1993 StarCraft pontoon 20'. The only fuses I can see are in the dash area and they look good. Any help would be great. Thanks Tux.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 1994 70 hp Force Tilt & Trim ?????

"same time"? Your post says one went, after switching wires (how many times?) the other went. Try bypassing the relays for an answer.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

There is a 20 amp fuse on the motor, next to the coils. Pretty sure the tilt runs through that fuse.

tux

Cadet

Thanks roscoe. I will check the fuse. I did not check the fuse because I thought that was for the motor to run and my motor runs great. Thanks Tux.

RRitt

Captain

hot wire the motor to a battery. if it works then you have a blown fuse or a wiring problem. It is unlikely for two relays to break at the exact same instant ... unless your boat gets hit by lightning, but then you would have mentioned that. So bad relays is somewhere out in never-never land. if the motor does not work when hotwired then buy a new motor. If you try a duct tape repair then you could cost yourself a new motor plus $300 to fix the internal water damages.

tux

Cadet

RRitt; So if I take the green / blue wires from the motor and go to pos / neg on 12v this should cycle motor then reverse connection on 12v battery to cycle up down?

RRitt

Captain

yup. and if it works then you have a wiring/relay/fuse/switch problem. If it doesn't work then the motor is probably bad.

tux

Cadet

I checked the fuse it is good & wiring looks good as well. Jumped the motor and nothing not a sound. I guess I start looking for parts or my see if it can be rebuilt. thanks for all the help will take the boat out today . Tux. Can anyone suggest a site for a good price on the motor. I will try ebay.

RRitt

Captain

this is a bad time to go cheap or use duct tape. badly repaired motor lets water into your system. Your cylinder does not have a repair kit. If you rust out those ball bearings in ram then you're going to be spending a lot more than cost of new motor. Sometimes a cheap repair costs a lot more in the end. This is one of those times.

Last edited:

tux

Cadet

RRitt; I hear you. Do you know if the after market ones on ebay are any good Cost $149.00 plus $48.00 shipping to here. Thanks Tux. They are from DP Electrical.

Last edited:

RRitt

Captain

ontario is pure glacier water on a very short season? It should be fine for the price. Shipping seems steep. Maybe it's a good time to visit Detroit.

tux

Cadet

Again thanks for the info . As far as going to Detroit @ $6.72 a gal for hi-test in my Ram I'll pay the shipping . Tux.