1988 force 50 gear oil leak from top of LU leg

MattVT

Cadet
Hi All,
First off great site. Read almost every post from recents to get up to speed with my new boat.

The problem: Found water in my LU, read all these helpful posts, had new seals installed. At that time my mechanic said that there was some wear on my drive shaft. Once the new seals were installed he did 15psi positive and negative pressure test and found them to hold. Took the boat for a 3 hour spin on the lake with lots of WOT and parked it over night. Checked the oil and found pretty blue clear fluid. Not a drop of water. Happy days. Went back out later and found oil leaking from the top of the lower leg.

The complication: When I picked up the boat from my mechanic I found the plate behind the prop installed upside down. He had his crew fix it immediately. Re-tested it under pressure and I was told it was fine. 15 psi.

My question is: If the seals were done properly, wear found on the drive shaft, can you STILL have oil from the lower leg bolting area? I assumed there was a gasket there. I really dont want to rant at a mechanic but I feel this should have been resolved.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Re: 1988 force 50 gear oil leak from top of LU leg

Hi All,
First off great site. Read almost every post from recents to get up to speed with my new boat.

The problem: Found water in my LU, read all these helpful posts, had new seals installed. At that time my mechanic said that there was some wear on my drive shaft. Once the new seals were installed he did 15psi positive and negative pressure test and found them to hold. Took the boat for a 3 hour spin on the lake with lots of WOT and parked it over night. Checked the oil and found pretty blue clear fluid. Not a drop of water. Happy days. Went back out later and found oil leaking from the top of the lower leg.

The complication: When I picked up the boat from my mechanic I found the plate behind the prop installed upside down. He had his crew fix it immediately. Re-tested it under pressure and I was told it was fine. 15 psi.

My question is: If the seals were done properly, wear found on the drive shaft, can you STILL have oil from the lower leg bolting area? I assumed there was a gasket there. I really dont want to rant at a mechanic but I feel this should have been resolved.

Thank you in advance.

What color was this oil? Is it black or light blue?

And where is " leaking from the top of the lower leg"? Are you saying it's where you would unbolt the gearcase from the exhaust housing? The four bolts and the one larger nut holding the lower unit to the rest of the motor, that split right there?

Well there's no gasket that was designed to be there.

If it's black or greyish- it's unburned 2 stroke oil. It will drip out there since your exhaust runs right past there to exit into the lake. The leg you refer to is exhaust, which gets oily from unburned 2 stroke oil.

If it's the same color as your current gear oil (compare by cracking open the top plug and dipping a wire or someting in there) then you have a warranty situation with the last repair shop.

I like how you're proceeding with caution.

I have to answer this question 4-5 times a week in the spring.

MattVT

Cadet

And where is " leaking from the top of the lower leg"? Are you saying it's where you would unbolt the gearcase from the exhaust housing? The four bolts and the one larger nut holding the lower unit to the rest of the motor, that split right there?

Well there's no gasket that was designed to be there.

Yes, the leak is coming from the 4 bolt area. Could that be the wear on the drive shaft? Letting oil past the upper seal and out of the join? It's actually dripping down the lead edge of the lower unit still. I would think it wouldn't keep coming out while sitting.

Also, I find it strange that the oil check I did showed no water inside. Any chance this is not as bad as I think it is?

Thanks again for your time.

What color is the oil?

Is it the same color as your new gear oil, or another color?

Last edited:

If it's the same oil you saw when you checked the lower unit for water, then you have a warranty case.

It might not be milky, depending on the quality of the oil that is used. Marine gear oil has a water suspension additive. Otherwise the oil would mix temporarily, then seperate after the motor isn't running. Brands like Mystik won't suspend water (it's blue, thin weight)

Call up the repair shop and state your case. They'll make it right somehow.

MattVT

Cadet

Again, Thanks to all the helpful knowledgeable folks here. You guys are the best.

Update from the mechanic: It appears that I have a shift rod leak that happens when shifting. It holds pressure until actuated. (?) Apparently this seal requires a complete disassemble of the LU and will cost 4-500$ additional to the $370 I have already paid. His opinion is that given its age, I should monitor the gear oil for level and leave it as is rather than spend the money to fix the LU. He is of the opinion that the seal may not hold depending on the condition of the shift rod and linkage and may leak anyway.

I really have a gut feeling he is trying to save me money but I have less experience than most with these types of problems (ran a 6hp evinrude till now haha) and appreciate any opinions from the gang here.

foodfisher

Captain

Wow, a $99 manual, us and some time would save a lot of beer/fuel money. Sorry, no 50 experience.