Setting timing 79 75 hp Chrysler

57 7.5

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok here is the deal, got a 79 Chrysler HP motor, I watched the video about syncing the carbs and checking the timing but he doesn't go into detail on how to change the timing. I can get the motor on TDC and the curved line on the distributer is 4 teeth away from the line on the fly wheel. I've turn the timing screw to get it that close and have learned that you only have to turn it in very small increments. So how can I get it to line up? Do you rotate the engine more than once or should they line up on every revolution. All plugs are getting spark.

I got the engine to start and run but didn't have the water muffs on correctly and it got hot and died, then it wouldn't start but turns over. I am letting it sit overnight and will try again in the morning. While it was running it sounded like it was missing and backfired through the exhaust when backing off the throttle. The previous owner had the fuel pump rebuilt, compression tested (150 each cylinder), carbs cleaned and rebuilt, lower unit oil changed and all new fuel lines replaced. I replaced the bulb cause it looked old and put a new starting battery (old one only had 135 cranking amps). When I bought it the guy said it ran fine last year and he parked it and it wouldn't start this year. I drained the fuel even though he did use marine grade Stabil in the gas. I drained the fuel from the carb too and replaced with new. Model # 757H9E. Can someone help me please, boating season is almost over and would love to get on the water this weekend.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Setting timing 79 75 hp Chrysler

You set the flywheel to top dead center. THEN you loosen the two bolts holding the distributor. Next push the distributor in to loosen the belt. Now set the distributor pulley so the curve matches the curve in the flywheel and the straight line points directly at the flywheel. This sets the rotor inside the distributor to the correct position, it does not set timing.

Now, use the threaded screw and two plastic blocks to set timing to 30 degrees before top dead center with the control habdle at wide open throttle.

57 7.5

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, now cause i'm dangerous working on mechanical things, lol, I have some knowledge of motors and things. so do I tight the two bolts that I loosened with the belt back on and do you know which way I turn the screw?

57 7.5

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I figured it out but looks like I have bigger problems now, took it to a friend who used to work on the older Chryslers and he said it sounded like a cylinder was dead so I stopped at Autozone and borrowed a compression tester and cylinder 1 & 2 showed 0 (down 150) and #3 was at 120(down 30). So no sure what happened did it overheating cause it? Where do I start? I prefer to do it myself and not pay someone $80 an hr to do it.

Last edited:

57 7.5

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Guess what after reading several post on compression I checked the head gasket and it was blown between cylinder 1 and 2. Going to find the gasket and get it up and running.