1988 force 50 hp slipped timming 180%

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok ran good out started about 6-7the times while drifting then herd a clunking noise when started and died was waiting around for tow when i puled plugs to check timming (was backfireing )it was 180the off flipped plugs ran back to launch had slight high speed miss im lost help please

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 force 50 hp slipped timming 180%

Ok anyone this has me stumped if any one has any ideas jump on in im pulling flywheel to check key i checked cylnder one mark is lined up on complet opposite side by plugs at top dead center (how i figured it out on lake to switch plugs ) no thoughts ignored this is crazyiest thing iv seen

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds to me like boken key in flywheel.

Jiggz

Captain

It could be a sheared flywheel key. anyways, verify timing at TDC and if it's off as you mentioned pull flywheel and inspect.

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok pulled flywheel and too my suprise no shered flywheel key started it up on muffs was running great then sounded like the thing was blowing a crank then died it was all kinda clunking then back fire checked now plugs switched back it started right up im lost is there somthing im missing here a gear inside or somthing slipping

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh and should mention the timming mark is still backwards as top is # 1 i belive and its at plug/head side at top dead center so cd box stator its a new cd box im lost pleas chin in with thoughts

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

No way it's gonna run at 180 out??
Basics, compression,spark.
Manual? Find TDC and see where the marks align.pics?
The 50 will run and run fair on 1 cylinder.

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok for all the looks i got when reading this post im sure i would have deen one and the (basics) comment heres what i found new cd box was bad when running with plug wires switched it was only on 1the cylinder with it back to correct it was on both (found this out at local marina he had seen this once before with a brand new force back in the day and said change it) it worked now as for timming it wasnt 180 out he couldnt figure out why mark was on wrong side except part #for was wrong so he just re marked and adjusted timing witch was pretty good now all is well and also standeredmagnito was great they had my replacement here in 24the hrs after marina contacted the for me at just shipping charge i thought for electrical part that was great

slag

Chief Petty Officer

Sentences would be nice to help us follow what you are trying to say.