1990 force 50HP Ignition troubles.. please help!!

casey.d

Cadet
Hi everyone thanks for the input.
As stated in the title I am having ignition troubles. I rebuilt this engine myself earlier this summer and recently noticed that it had some missfire at certain throttle positions. Occasionally idles rough. I ran it in a bucket at home and found it was not firing on the top cylinder at idle. I played with the wires until I found that the trigger was bad, I could move the wires at the trigger and hear the other cylinder fire up and idle smoothed out... HERE is where the trouble starts...

1) replaced trigger with new one today,, verified good with 50ohms between yellow/orange and red/green
wouldnt start at all after the swap,,, not even a pop.. it started and ran fine before swapping.

2) verified correct wiring, looked for disconnected wires...

3) removed flywheel, stator and trigger again.. The new one was in the exact position as the old one.. My stator does have a few spots where it looks to have gotten hot,, It was that way before i rebuilt the engine.

4) reassembled with the same results

5) I dissconnected the linkage that moves the trigger and turned it forward and the engine now starts and runs...
I moved the linkage at the trigger and the stop screw that controls trigger/idle?? I tried to adjust it by ear until I got a good idle and snappy rev.

6) took it to the lake and it was super slow and bogged down.

7) at the lake the top only was firing and the bottom wasnt firing at all now? except for a few intermitant times It shocked me when I was pushing on the bottom plug boot.

I do have some trouble shooting steps from the net, all of this is confusing me though and I am not sure where to start. Before the trigger swap the boat would plane out and all but I could tell it was intermittent on the top cyl,, i thought I isolated that down to the trigger and now the bottom cyl is not firing and I have moved the linkage and not sure where to go from here.

casey.d

Cadet
Re: 1990 force 50HP Ignition troubles.. please help!!

80+ views and no replies? this forum sucks.... It turned out to have a bad trigger, then the CD/ switchbox was also bad or went bad while swapping the trigger. Possible that i shorted a wire. the only reason I am posting is that I thought someone else could benefit from my post.

foodfisher

Captain

"this forum sucks"--Way to get help in the future. ps- There are thousands of members here and maybe the 80 didn't know how to help, you might have waited till the thousands less eighty had a chance to view your post before your childish rant.

Last edited:

casey.d

Cadet

"this forum sucks"--Way to get help in the future. ps- There are thousands of members here and maybe the 80 didn't know how to help, you might have waited till the thousands less eighty had a chance to view your post before your childish rant.

Its a matter of opinion based on my first impressions, and however "childish" you feel my rant was, you are entitled to that opinion as well. There are several other threads about ignition issues going with replies. I clearly will find another forum to seek advise from in the future. And hopefully the useful information I posted, other than the 1 sentence long rant, will help some others here.