Need help with a 1971 45 HP Chrysler stator

jmooney

Recruit
Hi all,
I have mined the forum for all of the info I can find to help me get my 45 HP Chrysler motor working and think I need some direct attention. Here's the situation:

- I have a 45HP (model 457HC) Chrysler motor from a 1971 Sport Satellite that has worked tremendously for the last 42 years, outlasting several other family boats in Michigan. It has only had 2 owners and I have taken gentle care of it for about the last 20 years. I love this motor.
- last week, things were fine until power cut in half and engine started running on one cylinder only. With the help of the local boat whisperer, we checked compression (fine), installed new plugs, checked the wires and coils in an attempt to get it running right. In the process, we determined that the lower plug wasn't firing very well and was getting fouled as a consequence. After ruling out wires and coil, local guy speculated that it had to be something under the flywheel which (he said) had to be the stator, thus starting me on my search for a new/used stator.
- based on some posts here, I got a parts manual (thanks!) and it appears that I need part 268095. The problem that I am having is that I can't find that exact part and am not sure whether a later year Force stator, or other aftermarket part is compatible or not. As it can be an expensive part and I'm sort of doing this remotely from Chicago with the local guy in Michigan, I am nervous about getting it right the first time.
- Does anyone know of other part numbers for a stator that will fit my engine?
- Also, from my reading here, it seems like similar problems have been fixed by others with new points or adjustments to points? When I asked my local guy (he's a pretty eccentric old codger), he said that this engine didn't have points and it had to be the stator. I'm in way over my head here and 400 miles away from my boat so I'd be grateful for any enlightenment if thoughts occur to anyone with a few moments to share them.

Thanks all for taking an interest, I'm determined to show everyone up at the lake that my 1971 Chrysler is twice the boat theirs are and hope for many more years of pulling them back to the dock!

Nordin

Commander
Re: Need help with a 1971 45 HP Chrysler stator

Need to know what kind of ign.system your engine have. If it is a 1971 that 457HC indicate, there were three systems. Magneto, battery and magnapower. All these system contents points. The magneto system does not need a stator to work, the battery and magnapower need the stator to charge the battery witch feed the ign.system with power.
Please add pics of the engine under the cover then we can find out what ign.system you have and if you need a new stator.

jmooney

Recruit

Wow, thanks for the quick response. Can't provide pics because I am in a different state from the boat but based on the parts catalog, mine is the standard ignition model.

Nordin

Commander

Sorry but what do you mean with standard ignition model? Do the engine have ign.coils under the flywheel or outside the powerhead?
If the coils are under the wheel, you do not have a stator mounted.

jmooney

Recruit

Outside the powerhead, coils bolted to the side of the block. I have attached the schematic from the parts catalog that looks just like what I have.

Attachments

• 20130813155535926.pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 2

wickware

Lieutenant

Jmooney, Have you ever seen the engine with the flywheel off. If so, did it look similar to my 1970 35hp Chrysler (attached) which it could be related to 35hp-55hp in one series. At its age I would hate to think the points have not been serviced or replaced. I replaced my points after my 1984 purchase due to Old Auto habits but they have not needed replacing vs cleaning since.

I hope this helps in your ID of the motor as well as a couple of engine views. My engine has a Magneto Sys without a stator or charging sys. I have to charge my Battery after so many starts (every 4-6 outings). It will start and run w/o a Batt as a lawnmower.

Attachments

• Lights Added On Right 3 In. Higher (2).jpg
    Lights Added On Right 3 In. Higher (2).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System 2.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System 2.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (5).JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (5).JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (6).JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (6).JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (4).JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (4).JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1

Nordin

Commander

Well you have the battery ign.system and it has a stator under the wheel.
The stator shall charge the battery through the rectifirer, but the ign.system use the power from the battery for work.
If the stator or the rectifirer are bad the engine will run until the battery is drained for power (about 9-10 volts).
If the stator and rectifirer are good and working the engine will run with the battery diconnected.
BUT be careful to disconnect it, this action can damage the rectifirer if you run to longtime at higer rpm. For idling....no problem.

You can troubleshot the stator and rectifirer using a VOM or a testlight.
Measuring or connecting the testlight at the statorside of the rectifirer would show about 12 volt AC (VOM) or the light to lite a bit at idle.
Increasing the rpm to about 1000-1200 or 1500 rpm will raise the volt to about 13-14 or the light to be more intensive.

You can measure at DC side at rectifirer but then you got the batteryvoltage at first, but when increasing the rpm it will raise.
Doing it at DC side will indicate if the stator and the rectifirer are working.

BTW these engines had two typ of stator and rectifirers. Older had a threephase stator and later a singlephase typ.
Threephase had three wirers from stator, singlephase only two and the threephase had a selenrectifirer (squered darkred). Singlephase rectifirer was black.
Make the measurements between ground and one stator wirer.

BE CAREFUL when measuring with engine running. Your fingers/hand are very close to the flywheel.

jmooney

Recruit

Thanks for the pics, they look pretty familiar. I have the battery system, not the magneto, so pic 3 looks different but pic 4 could be a clone so same era engine for sure.

I have never had the flywheel off and think that my mother had someone go through the engine when she got it in '91 but who knows. I have learned more about it in the last week than in the last 20 years and it's been an interesting project. I'd be nowhere without help from you guys. Thanks for responding.

jmooney

Recruit

Nordin, thanks for the reply, it's really helpful. When I get back to the lake next month, I think I will have to take more time to methodically go through things as you suggest. Thus far, I just had the local codger trying to help get the boat back in the water asap.

The battery seems to be charging, although I will check for sure. One thing that I left out in earlier posts, when checking the coils, the bottom coil was really, really hot, even after we swapped in a replacement. Top coil was warm. Does this indicate anything to you guys?

Also, any good reference documents that anyone can recommend so I can understand and diagnose these electrical/ignition issues better? My engine repair experience has been mainly lawnmower/weedwacker related and was a long time ago.

Thanks again.