1989 force 125hp, is something missing?

dharmon

Cadet
I have this 1989 Force 125hp motor I'm trying to mount on my '89 Bayliner. I have a few questions. In this last pic, is something suppose to go in this opening/hole in the engine block. Also, I think I'm missing carb covers. if so where can I get some and how much? Thanks guys...hope i posted the links right. It's my first time trying to do this.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 force 125hp, is something missing?

First off, it is either a 75,85, or 90 engine. 125 was a 4 cylinder, two carb engine. Second, it is earlier than 1989 because the block is white. The lower portion, cover, and shrouding may be 89 and the tag may say 125 but the block is a replacement. Someone blew the original beyond repair and replaced it with a three cylinder block.

In fact, since the engine block has a distributor ignition, it is 1979 or earlier.

If you can, contact the owner and see if you can get a couple of bucks back. That engine is not worth as much as a Force 125. Nothing really wrong with it--many of my engines are distributor ignition-- but it is smaller and just not as modern therefore not worth as much

Lastly, the open hole will take either a fitting for a pisser, a 1/8 NPT pipe plug, or a temperature gauge sender. You can not operate without something there. Water will blow out all over the place.

There was a single airbox that covered all three carbs. Its purpose was to catch "spit-back" fuel and recycle it to the bottom of the manifold through a fitting below the bottom carb. It is not an absolute necessity to use it but will keep the inside of the engine compartment cleaner. Try looking on ebay for one.

PS: I am surprised if that engine fits under the stock Force cover. The Force cover is tapered more at the front than the old Chrysler and the Force starter motor mount was relieved for clearance under the cover. It appears from the photos that the distributor pulley will interfere too.

Last edited:

dharmon

Cadet

Hey thanks a ton Frank. Surprisingly, not able to get in touch with the previous owner. Yeah it fits under the stock cover. So, in your expert opinion and waaaay more experience with these type of motors(and motors in general) than I can ever dream, is there any way you could tell me what this is?? Type, hp, etc.. What exactly do I search for that airbox. Force? Chrysler? Also, where can I get that pipe plug? I really appreciate your help!!

dharmon

Cadet

Oh, hey Frank, will the U.S. Marine throttle controls that it came with..like for a Force?? Thanks again!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

That year, should have a tag inside the cover.Under the carbs on the stbd. side.
The #s are needed for ID
The controls should work.
The airbox was a standard item.
The box from any 3 cyl should fit?
It has gaskets and should have them.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

No Force engine ever had a distributor, so it is a Chrysler block. Since it is distributor ignition and since Chrysler went to Prestolite ignition in 1979, that block is earlier than 1979. If the distributor is electronic eye, then the engine block is about 1976-78. Electric eye distributors have two wires: A blue one and a white with black tracer. If it is points inside the distributor, then it is pre-1976. Points distributors only have the white with black tracer.

70 and 90 horsepower were relatively uncommon so the block itself is most likely either 75 or 85. If you have any way to look into exhaust ports, the 75 had circular exhaust ports while the 85 had elongated ones. Exhaust ports are visible if the side cover is removed--not recommended because gaskets will be destroyed and you may snap more than one cover bolts. You can also remove the head. However, if you have a small inspection light you might be able to see through the plug holes. Also, check one of the carbs. 75 and smaller had a 1 3/16 venturi while the 85 and 90 had a 1 5/16 venturi. The venturi size is cast into the carb inside, under the float. IF you have the carb number stamped on the mounting flange, then that also describes the engine size as different carbs were used for different horsepower engines. I don't know them offhand, but if your library has an Intertech manual, ALL carbs ever used are listed in it.

I would not be surprised if someone here has this listing so try replying with the carb number ( example: WB25A, WB1A, WB 19 etc.)

I have this list, but it is in a "safe" place and probably would take me a week to find it. LOL

The pipe plug can be found at Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, plumbing supply stores, or Fastenal.

The US Marine controls will work. In fact any Chrysler or Force control box that is NOT Mercury will work. Most Force parts except ignition and flywheel will fit this engine block.

I can not clearly see the ignition module but it is definitely not the stock Motorola Magna-Power ignition. It may be an aftermarket OR it may be a different module that Chrysler did use on some engines.

Last edited:

dharmon

Cadet

Thank yall so much! Sorry for the late reply, been sick. Thanks again1 I'll keep you posted.

dharmon

Cadet

Hey guys, my carb cast is marked W-4-2 8/32. I was needing to find a airbox to fit it. eBay was a bust since I didn't know year, etc. Here are additional photos. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what year, hp this motor is? It's obviously not a Force 125, but the lower unit is. The only stamp I found cast into the block was "480". I also cant make out the exhaust...not sure if its circular or oblong. Thanks again for your help!!
Motor Slideshow by dharmon1977 | Photobucket

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The plug can be found at any hardware store.
The power pack IS an aftermarket.
You find the ID tag?
Under the electronic modual, cast into the block"might " be a foundry casting stamp.
It'll be a circle with a date stamped into the middle.
The airbox is a standard item, I "might" have one???
Exhaust, ??Circular or oblong??? HUH?? Explain please.
Maybe Frank might?
That's an older Chrysler stuck on a newer Force base/lower.
Pic of the hood?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Looking into the carbs, I can see that they are 1 5/16 venturis. That means your engine is most likely an 85 horsepower one. Since the distributor has two wires, it is an electric eye and that puts your engine between 1976 and 1978. You can buy any airbox off any three cylinder Chrysler or Force EXCEPT the FORCE 70 and 75 which used a single carb.

Jerry: On the 75, Chrysler drilled (actually milled) the exhaust ports the same as the bypass ports. They were perfect circles. At bottom dead center, the top of the piston (not the baffle) was below the hole. On the 85, the end mill was moved down after drilling through to make the exhaust ports longer or taller, giving them much more area. At bottom dead center, the top of the piston was even with the bottom of the exhaust port.

mbruce333

Cadet

It also looks like you're missing the choke solenoid and the linkage that would connect it to the carbs. You will definitely need this. But, like the airbox, shouldn't be too tough to find.

I'd have to look, but I probably have both...somewhere, haha.

Mike

dharmon

Cadet

Thanks a lot guys!! Two really dumb questions Mike: 1. How can I tell the choke solenoid/linkage is missing? 2. Where does it go? I'm sorry, I'm really new to boating!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Under the carb on the intake.
There is a U shaped bracket.
The choke solenoid goes in there.
It's also missing the clamp and screws and the activation rod.

dharmon

Cadet

Thanks Jerry. What do I search for to find that part? Is it hp or year specific, or both? Thanks again!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

10.jpg
#37-42 Are the parts you need.
The solenoid isin't shown in the pic.The solenoid and rod are used on all the Force/Chryslers.
The hard thing to find is the u shaped bracket and the activation rod.
I might have one.Will try to find it this afternoon??
Maybe someone else will have this stuff??
I'm pretty sure I have the solenoid,will look for the rest.

dharmon

Cadet

Thanks a bunch!! Please let me know!

dharmon

Cadet

Hey Jerry, or anybody else that might could answer. Is this what I need? I think the U-clamp is there. Will post a closeup of what I think it is. Thanks guys.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

That's the clamp.
I'm sorry I looked and didn't find the choke.
The one in the pic is what you need.
It has a control arm too.

dharmon

Cadet

Cool! I think the clamp is still attached. Thanks for all of your help!! I'll keep you informed..