Force 125 hp iginiton question

grandpax7

Cadet
Does the black little rectifier hooked to stator only convert ac to dc for battery charging, or does it also affect the firing of plugs. I am chasing a gremlin where 3 & 4 were not firing. Took it to boat shoap who tested everything, stator, coil packs, modulators. Said modulator was problem and I changed it, didn't fix it. I switched the 2 sets of wires from stator (blue/yellow wires) that go to modulators and spark moved from 1, 2 to 3,4. to me which means modulator wasn't bad, but part of stator. changed stator, got firing back and now it has done it again. I have swapped out both modulators, coil packs are good according to shop. The parts were from a force that was running when 2 pistons went south. The only thing is either that black rectifier that my farther in law had changed before I started on it, or the adjustable timing ring under flywheel is the problem. Thank you for your help.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 125 hp iginiton question

Yes a bad rectifier can affect the ignition system. You can disconnect the Green/Yellow wires that go from the stator to the rectifier and see if your problems go away. Make sure you tape the ends of the Green/Yellow wires so they don't touch anything they're not supposed to.

If disconnecting the wires to the rectifier has not affect, check the spade lug connectors on the end of the wires for the trigger and CD Modules where they are attached to the 12 position terminal block. This ignition system is notorious for broken wires, depending on what year it is. Right at the spade lug, you'll notice a small piece of black heat shrink tubing that covers the crimped/soldered connection to the spade lug. It's common for the wire to break inside the black heat shrink tubing. You can't see it. Sometimes it's a complete break, sometimes it's just a couple of strands of wire hanging on.

Jiggz

Captain
Re: Force 125 hp iginiton question

Technically, the rectifier is for the battery charging circuit only. For your troubleshooting, you can totally disconnect the two yellow wires coming from the stator and also the two load wires (red and black) coming from the rectifier. Just make sure you temporarily tape them off so they do not touch each other or ground. If the problem persists, try your troubleshooting before by switching the set of yellow and blue wires between the upper modules and lower modules. If the problem shifts with the switch, it's again a stator problem. Open and inspect the stator making sure it is not open or grounded. A grounded wire will prevent powering the modules. I recommend getting a new or better used stator that is in perfect condition. If you decide with a used stator, make sure you conduct at least a "megger" test which is nothing but an insulation resistance check. A good shop should know how to do this test.