Fixing clamp on gear shift arm assembly....

mitchbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1990 90hp Force is running great after getting a lot of help from this site. One thing that I need to address is that the rivet/screw that holds the 'swivel clamp ' on the 'gear shift arm' is pulling through the gear shift arm. This causes a lot of play that makes shifting rough and now its causing the neutral safety switch to not be engaged properly. Any way to replace this rivet/screw? I know I can adjust the neutral safety switch but would rather fix the problem entirely. I also have a spare gear shift arm, but if there is a simpler fix I'd like to know. If I have to replace the whole arm, are there any tricks or pitfalls I should be aware of? Thanks!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Fixing clamp on gear shift arm assembly....

Yes I know exactly what you're talking about. You have to remove the horizontal bolt/nut that goes through the gear shift arm assy. Then you have to remove the nut that attaches to the shift rod that goes down to the lower unit. Count the number of threads showing above the nut before you take it off the shift rod. There is another lock nut below that keeps the adjustment from moving, however, it's best to count the threads. When you re-assemble, make sure the same number of threads are showing above the nut and you should be good to go.

I've seen some set up's where guys have taken a hose clamp to hold the cable in place. Not recommended as this prevents the swivel from moving.

mitchbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for that it wasn't covered in Clymer or Seloc. So no way to fix the clamp?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Not without taking it off. The clamp is riveted on. If there is too much play, then most likely something is worn out. Probably the hole in the clamp itself that the rivet passed through. Probably best to just replace it. Kind of a pain, but if you have small hands, patience and some of those "stubby" box end/open end wrenches....not that bad.