Replacing Force 120hp L-drive engine with Force 120hp outboard in Bayliner Cuddy 1992

like boating

Recruit
Hi Folks,
Can I swap my low compression (one of the cylinders) Force 120hp L drive engine with Force 120hp Outboard (complete top only) in my Bayliner 1992 Cuddy? If so, how and what is the risk? Please help...
Thank you.

matt167

Captain
Re: Replacing Force 120hp L-drive engine with Force 120hp outboard in Bayliner Cuddy

Not directly. Crank is special to the L drive, but if the L drive crank is good, you can swap it over and build a good L drive powerhead with the 120 OB parts

like boating

Recruit
Re: Replacing Force 120hp L-drive engine with Force 120hp outboard in Bayliner Cuddy

Thanks a lot matt167.
I'm new in boat motors. How do I know that the L drive crank is good? Also, after swapping them, what else do I need to prepare and replace? for instance gasket. What about the exhaust manifold from L drive, will it fit to Force120hp outboard block/head? thanks in advance.

matt167

Captain

IIRC the only thing special is the crank snout which is why the OB crank won't work. If the crank is not visibly scored or 'rough' than it's good to go.. The blocks are the same, so you just swap the crank and other parts that may be different and your good to go

BlueFishCrisis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Folks,
Can I swap my low compression (one of the cylinders) Force 120hp L drive engine with Force 120hp Outboard (complete top only) in my Bayliner 1992 Cuddy? If so, how and what is the risk? Please help...
Thank you.
Perhaps it makes more sense to determine the cause for low compression before trying to take and rebuild / swap the powerhead. It could be as simple as a head gasket, mid level a burnt piston, or worse case broken rings/scored cylinder. I would pop the head cover and see what you have first.....

like boating

Recruit

Perhaps it makes more sense to determine the cause for low compression before trying to take and rebuild / swap the powerhead. It could be as simple as a head gasket, mid level a burnt piston, or worse case broken rings/scored cylinder. I would pop the head cover and see what you have first.....

Thanks BlueFishCrisis and matt167.
I'll do that. But one more thing, the 120HP Force outboard had some problem for some reason. Will 125HP Force outboard power head can be used instead in worse scenario?