Correct RPM's/ Timing on 96 75hp mercury/force outboard

CharlestonFF

Cadet
I have a 96 75hp mercury force that is having issues with the idle and stalling when I put the boat in gear. To give you a little background on the motor. I bought the boat last week which ran fine except the idle seemed it needed to be adjusted as well as a few fuel lines needed to be replaced due to the bulb going soft. The guy adjusted the timing by mistake I believe instead of adjusting the idle screw.
So far I have cleaned the carb somewhat and the bowl did not have any debris in it as well. I also cleaned the needle that sits ontop of the float. The spark plug boot on the # 1 cylinder is also cracked. I have replaced the fuel lines from the bulb to the fuel pump and to the carborator which has made the bulb stay hard, and has helped a little with the engine which stays running now. The idle is still rough and the boat cuts off when I put it in gear which I believe is due to low RPMs. Does anybody know any information on the correct RPMs at idle in the water and at idle on the hose? Also does anybody have any information on how I should go about timing the engine and getting the right RPMs? Could the cracked spark plug boot be giving me trouble as well with the engine?

I really appreciate any advice yall can give me!

Thanks
Adam

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Correct RPM's/ Timing on 96 75hp mercury/force outboard

You need to get a manual and follow the instructions for doing a linc & sync. It must be done in the steps given to do it right.