Force 50 shifting issues

pepescot

Cadet
Last few times out forward wouldn't engage until motor was throttled up to about 30-50% past idle. Then "clunk" in gear and be fine. Yesterday when I backed it off to neutral it stayed in gear. Had to shut motor off to glide into the boat ramp. Back home last night prop couldn't be turned by hand. Still in gear even tho control was pulled out to full neutral.
Clues on what to look for are appreciated

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 50 shifting issues

Try unhooking the cables at the motor.
Shift the motor into F N R a couple of times, turning the prop as you do. ending in N
Then the shifter, do the same, then adjust the connector.
Possible the shifter is bad? Or the cable is bad?

pepescot

Cadet

Try unhooking the cables at the motor.
Shift the motor into F N R a couple of times, turning the prop as you do. ending in N
Then the shifter, do the same, then adjust the connector.
Possible the shifter is bad? Or the cable is bad?

I'll give your suggestions a try this weekend. Pulled the motor cover off last night. Both throttle and shifting cables work back at the motor. Hoping somethings not messed up inside.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Profile,location? You might be close to someone who can help?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I think FrankA lives up there??
If not bring it on down, I'll have a look??? :)

pepescot

Cadet

I think FrankA lives up there??
If not bring it on down, I'll have a look??? :)

It's definitely something in the lower unit. Pulled the two upper side plates off and the control rods work properly to where they go into the lower unit. Regardless of where the rod is, it's still stuck in forward. My guess is when I pull the lower unit off ( 4 bolts ) I'll find something has broken or disconnected from the control rod.

pepescot

Cadet

FIXED !!
when I pulled the lower unit off the problem was obvious. The "keeper" clip on the cotter pin connecting the control rod to the shifter rod had broken and was laying in the unit. Allowing the two pieces to separate. Put it back together with a new stainless pin. All is well. Thanks for any and all advice sent my way

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok also happened to me the rod that goes to lower unit make sure its tight (thelocking nut)and adjusted right mine over time gets lose and the same thing happens now i just check it a few times a year no more problem

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just seen it was fixed but still keep that in mind it happens alot to theforceto shift set up it should still have shifted with pin broke as it cant really come fully off do to angle and position so id still check that adjustment happy boating