1990 force 90 hp, when in neutral throttle won't advance

tfsj62

Recruit
First off this motor is new to me. It was bought to swap a blown 95 force 40hp. Swapping out has been quite a challenge. The only thing left is to get the fast idle in neutral to work. With the cables off and manually working the shift/throttle levers, when the shifter is in start position (lever pressing neutral safety switch) the throttle tower won't budge. If moved slightly toward the forward position the throttle will advance. In this position, the prop spins freely both ways but the neutral safety switch is not depressed and the motor won't start. The adjustable lever for the neutral safety switch is adjusted all the way and can't reach the button to depress the switch.

Now, all that to ask this question. How do I properly adjust the shift lever? The way it is now you can only start it with no fast idle function. I'm new to outboards and this one has me stumped. Any help is appreciated.

I'd like to thank all the smart guys posting here. Without Frank A., Jerry and others contributions this board wouldn't be the wealth of information it is. I just watched Frank's carb sync video yesterday and it was awesome! Good job.

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1990 force 90 hp, when in neutral throttle won't advance

The shifter has a button on lever push in and then push throttle forward this bypasses the shift part of lever only go push till it has slight resistance

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ps the button is were the throttle connects to controle base hope this helps also some pull out (just whole shift lever)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

First find real neutral on the engine. Now, if the cam does not depress the neutral interlock button, loosen the two screws and move the cam until it does.

You will need to synchronize the carbs and timing because IF they are not correct the idle screw may be screwed in too far in order to get a correct idle, then the gap between the two plate at the bottom of the timing tower will be too small and no fast idle can be obtained. Set everything according to the video and written sticks and fast idle position should be available with cables connected.

tfsj62

Recruit

Thanks for the input guys. I've got the remote control fast idle button concept and it is not the problem.

Any tips on finding the 'real neutral'? Currently the neutral position (where the cam hits square under interlock button) seems to be about 2/3rds travel into forward and 1/3rd into reverse. Should the travel between forward and reverse be equal distance? This is what I'm thinking. Once confirmed, I'll make the necessary adjustments and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That's why I said find the real neutral. there should be equal throw between neutral, forward, and reverse. You would adjust this by the two nuts under the bottom carb--PIA because it is difficult to get a wrench there. Easier if you remove the carb. Remember: When adjusting, down is forward and up is reverse. SO: If you need to bias more toward reverse. you would run the nuts down on the threads to raise up the rod.

Adjust until the rod at the lower coupler is centered in neutral. Mark it then shift forward and mark and reverse and mark. Distance between marks should be substantially equal.

tfsj62

Recruit

Excellent! I was thinking that the shift linkage on the motor was fixed and had planned to adjust the cable position. This makes a lot more sense. Great.

I'll get it checked out this weekend as we're heading to the lake, fast idle or no fast idle. After it's warmed up, this motor seems to start before the key switch is fully on. I mean amazingly fast. Thank you very much for this insightful information. I, like many on this board, would be totally lost without you guys guidance.