Force 75hp lower unit

bowfish2000

Recruit
I?ve recently purchased a boat equipped with a 1997 Force 75hp outboard, the lower unit oil level was low which resulted in the main shaft tapered bearing to seize. The issue is located just above the bearing and just below the water impeller housing is RETAINER-Driveshaft Spline Seal- part # F749271 which is no longer available (OBSOLETE) is busted in 3 pieces and I?ve had no luck locating an aftermarket manufacture for this part, even searched used parts suppliers. I can only assume this motor is now nothing more than a trotline weight.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 75hp lower unit

Welcome to iboats.

You should be able to find a lower unit for parts, or a working lower unit to replace yours.
It all depends on how much you are willing to pay.

I believe you can use a gearcase from 1995-1999 40 and 50 hp,
And 1995-1998 70 and 75 hp.

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't know where you live, but I know of a 75 hp lower unit for sale in the Saint Mary's area of Pennsylvania for a steal (100 bucks). The guy is trying to get rid of it, has no need for it, taking up room in his garage. I have not looked at it but received a pic of it and it does look good, but you never judge a book by its cover.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I think you might be mistaken with that part. That retainer P/N F749271 (#6 in the diag. below) is just basically a modified washer that holds the rubber grease boot (#8) for the drive shaft splines that enter the end of the crankshaft. It is located at the very top of the driveshaft by the splines. I suspect the part that you need is a threaded retainer (#7 in the diagram below), P/N 8128201. It is still available.

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - DRIVESHAFT AND LOWER SHIFT COMPONENTS - FORCE 75 H.P.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That Force used a Mercury designed lower unit. Try searching smaller horsepower Mercury engines (under 100). I would be willing to bet that Merc used the same parts in their branded engines.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Just wanted to mention that the part that Bowfish 2000 is referring to F749271 is the washer retainer for the spline grease boot that sits at the very top of the drive shaft. He stated that he needed the part above the drive shaft bearing that sits under the water pump. That most likely would be the threaded spanner nut P/N 8128201. It is made out of some type of cast material like cast iron or something similar. Easy to break if you hit it with say a hammer. Don't ask how I know...LOL! Anyways, it is available. A little spendy, but much cheaper than a lower unit.

bowfish2000

Recruit

Do you ever have one of those days when you feel like such a dumb *****? I have been searching high/low for a part I don't need. I was looking at the correct parts list but the wrong section.... ordered the part needed. Thanks for y'alls assistance!

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yep....been there before. Those diagrams can be confusing sometimes. Anyways, looks like you're on the right track. Good luck!