87 force 15 going very slow at full throttle??? help

G

help please: I went out today and at full throttle my inflatable boat barely moved (about 2 mph for 5 min then stopped pushing me completely) Prop looks fine, In neutral it spins and very hard to spin in gear ??? wtf is going on??

Bought the engine from some dude1 month ago and only seen it run on neutral. took it to a marina for a tune up and paid extra for them to run it and see if it needs anything. guy ran it and said it ran good. I don't even know If he tested it. changed the impeller based on the video I saw on you tube and wondering could I have screwed something up or it has been like that?? The shift lever was loose from day one if this mean something. I also seen it die couple times when I try to put in fwd. I tried putting In reverse and the ob kicked up and shut off.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 force 15 going very slow at full throttle??? help

The prop is bad.Tey can look good but the rubber bushing is slipping.
Use a majic marker.Take prop off and scribe a line across the rubber hub or the metal plate.
Go for a spin and see if the line changes position.
The motor puts out WAY more force than your hand can produce.
Trying to turn by hand only gives me cramps :)
Die'n can be a couple of things, low rpm's in gear 750-800.
Reset the air screw,start at 1 turn out.
Then motor warm, turn screw in 1/8th turn wait 10 seconds then another 1/8th and wait 10 seconds.
Do this till the motor coughs/stutters,stalls.
Then out 1/2 turn.
Very important to wait 10 seconds between turns.It burns the fuel at the old setting allowing it to catch up.
If it's kicking up in R then the lock isin't working. They sell the parts to fix it.
VERY DANGEROUS to not fix.

G

Re: 87 force 15 going very slow at full throttle??? help

The prop is bad.Tey can look good but the rubber bushing is slipping.
Use a majic marker.Take prop off and scribe a line across the rubber hub or the metal plate.
Go for a spin and see if the line changes position.
The motor puts out WAY more force than your hand can produce.
Trying to turn by hand only gives me cramps :)
Die'n can be a couple of things, low rpm's in gear 750-800.
Reset the air screw,start at 1 turn out.
Then motor warm, turn screw in 1/8th turn wait 10 seconds then another 1/8th and wait 10 seconds.
Do this till the motor coughs/stutters,stalls.
Then out 1/2 turn.
Very important to wait 10 seconds between turns.It burns the fuel at the old setting allowing it to catch up.
If it's kicking up in R then the lock isin't working. They sell the parts to fix it.
VERY DANGEROUS to not fix.

That's why when I tell people find Jerry in the motor threads! But thank you I will take it off Monday and look. People were telling me it might be a lower unit issue that's why my gear switching lever is loose but did not make sense to me. But thank you I will report Anything new that comes up