HALP FORCE 90, new boater. annoyed stalling/missing/blah

kujo4321

Cadet
ok so my wife talked me into buying a boat....:facepalm:
ive never owned a boat but it sounded fun so i embraced the idea

i found/test drove/bought a 1990 bayliner capri openbow with a force 90 outboard. when we went to test drive is started and ran fine but bringing it back to dock it stalled, then started right back up so i figured maybe it wasnt warmed up or just some dirty carbs and against advice from my father in law i bought the boat anyway.
so first couple times i took the boat out its been a very frustrating time. on the ears it would start right up and seem to be fine. so we would take it to the water and for the life of me i couldnt get it started, rubbing my belly, pattting my head, praying the buddha, FINALLY got it started idled out and gave it hell for all of 5 minutes, then i needed to slow down and as soon as i did it stalled out (pretty much same as test drive) except this time i couldnt restart it. BLAH it struggles and fights and eventually starts. so i run it around the lake a few times to warm it up and now i can slow down but once im just idling after2 or 3 minutes it stalls out, and it went on like this the rest of the day until the battery wouldnt start it anymore so we rowed to shore and took it home. once home the previous owner claimed the carbs were just cleaned so i sprayed seafoam cleaner thru carbs while running on ears to be sure. after spraying seafoam i changed plugs and battery hoping that was it, nope. again ran fine on ears so took it out for day 2 on the water. rubbing my bellt patting my head jumping up and down praying to buddha it EVENTUALLY starts after ive embarrassed myself in front of what felt like 100 onlookers. so now it ran better than day 1 for sure, but still stalls and then struggles to start. then after cranking it too much my starter clutch went out so i replaced that as well. BLAH again.
so if im on ears it runs fine. if its running on the water and i shut it off with the key it will start back up immediately. if it shuts off by stalling it struggles to start. if i anchor out for more than 10 minutes its like its a cold pig on a frozen lake and just struggles and struggles and stuggles.

ok so this is enough, i pulled the carbs and took them all apart and made sure they were spotless. so in all that is cleaned carbs, changed plugs, changed battery, cleaned fuel filter, checked rpm at idle (on ears 1100), checked fuel pump diaphram, verified that spark is good on all plugs, replaced starter gear, and checked compression (all around 120).
so for me as a novice mechanic those are the go to things to check
i put it all back together, and it seems like i made it WORSE

mind you im on ears, but i can get it to start within 3 cranks, but now it wont even idle right on ears. i can get it started and give it gas in neutral but as soon as i slow it down it starts popping like its missing and eventually stalls out.
what did i do, and what do i need to do
i need help
please help
fix it.... please

Jiggz

Captain
Re: HALP FORCE 90, new boater. annoyed stalling/missing/blah

Well, at least you got that compression test out of the way. Now the next move is to make sure you have the carbs' Fuel/Air mixture screw set properly, 1 turn out from seated position (read the synch and link sticky post for directions and setting the idle speed). And then set the idle on muffs around 1100 RPM but even better in water in forward gear idle at 700~800 RPM. If that doesn't fix the problem try running the engine in the water with the cowl remove, is it running better? If it is then you probably have exhaust leaks either from the exhaust manifold or from the idle relief tube or hose recirc'ing into the carbs. If it still does not run any better with the cowl off, try de-carboning the engine using straight sea foam. Post back with results.

kujo4321

Cadet
Re: HALP FORCE 90, new boater. annoyed stalling/missing/blah

Ok so I followed the diy to sync and set the carbs. Now it idles smooth and seems fine on the ears but it still seemed to struggle a little starting up but I sometimes blame that on my lack of knowledge on 2 strokes and proper starting procedure for this particular motor. I guess my next step is getting out to tye lake to fine tune the idle screw and jets in the proper environment. At least now on ears it at least seems fine. Any other input? Thqnks again