Force 1996 120hp stuck in reverse

mcompton

Cadet
Ugg, Looking for some help guys!! I took my boat into the mechanic due to it getting stuck in reverse twice last weekend. He told me I needed a new control box which I went out and bought a new Gen I control box. I got it home today with a new control box and decided to hook the hose to it and sure enough it got stuck in reverse again. I pulled the cover off the motor and disconnected the controls and it was very difficult to manually move it back and forth with someone pushing on the propeller. What do I do now?? Do I have to take the lower end apart? Help a brother out.

John Frum

Cadet
Re: Force 1996 120hp stuck in reverse

Disconnect the cable and see if ya can shift it manually.If it shifts by hand,then your cable or shift shaft is misadjusted.Theys 2 nuts on the shift shaft under the bottom carb,see if the paint is off of them like someones been messing with them lately.Also,the shift shaft seal in the lower unit could be binding up.
Ok,I reread yer post.Drop the lower unit and see whats binding you up.Its only like 7 bolts and a cotter pin on the shift shaft.I'm thinking shift shaft seal.

Last edited:

mcompton

Cadet

Disconnect the cable and see if ya can shift it manually.If it shifts by hand,then your cable or shift shaft is misadjusted.Theys 2 nuts on the shift shaft under the bottom carb,see if the paint is off of them like someones been messing with them lately.Also,the shift shaft seal in the lower unit could be binding up.
Ok,I reread yer post.Drop the lower unit and see whats binding you up.Its only like 7 bolts and a cotter pin on the shift shaft.I'm thinking shift shaft seal.

Thanks! I'm going to give it a try now. :joyous:

mcompton

Cadet

O.K. I had to turn my prop to take one nut out and it made a pop sound. I pulled the lower unit off and I can move the shifting rod on the lower unit with my hand about 200 degrees with ease. The control goes back and fourth as well now. Should I still pull the two bolts and check the seal. I assume that is where it is at right under the splined two inch gear shaft.

John Frum

Cadet

O.K. I had to turn my prop to take one nut out and it made a pop sound. I pulled the lower unit off and I can move the shifting rod on the lower unit with my hand about 200 degrees with ease. The control goes back and fourth as well now. Should I still pull the two bolts and check the seal. I assume that is where it is at right under the splined two inch gear shaft.

If both move freely seperated then something must be binding when they are tighten together.Send some pictures of everything.Its hard diagnosing when you cant see it.We ought to have a live Skype-O-Vision thread with webcam diagnosis.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The 96 Force used the Mercury lower shift parts.
It's possible the cable is sticky/stuck.
Start at the front,unhook at the shifter(mark them for length,black marker on the threads).
Then unhook at the motor.Pull and push on the ends.
ANY resistance?? ANY AT ALL?? It only magnifies when it's hooked up.
Then while it's unhooked shift by hand while it's in the water.
Could be the bushings on the shift shft in the driveshaft housing?
It could be the cables need adjusting?
Usually the shifters rarely go bad.
I've been doing this since 85 and have only seen 1 or2 go bad.

Last edited:

mcompton

Cadet

Well, I checked everything and it all looked good. The only thing I found was when I drained the lower end it only had about ten ounces of oil in it. It did have glitter in the oil. Do you think I mount it all back up and fill it all the way would do the trick?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

At this point, the only thing you can do is to re-fill with oil and hope for the best.

mcompton

Cadet

Do you know if the metal slide that the shifting cable slides back and forth on has a factory bend from the slotted part down to the two bolts that hold it on?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Not exactly sure what you're referring to on the shifting cable. Is it possible for you to post a picture?

mcompton

Cadet

Here is a picture of it. It is called the Rail Shift. It seemed to be bend between the bolts that mount it and the rail. I bent it back straigt and looks like the picture I attached now.

Attachments

• Shift Rail.JPG
    Shift Rail.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 0

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

That must be a Mercury set up. I'm not familiar with that. Maybe someone else on the Forum can chime in.