75 hp Chrysler Motor wont stay running

doug hawk

Recruit
I have recently bought a 1966 starcraft Caravel with a chrysler 75 (electric)motor. According to the last owner he had it running a short period of time before I bought it. I dont have the original key, but do have a key that seems to work. I can push the key and the chockes click shut or I can turn the key and the chokes stay open. I have replaced the plugs with new ones that were the same type that were in there autolite 303. gapped at .003. The motor turns over and with a shot of started fluid attempts to run for about 5-10 secs then stops. I'm not that familiar with this motor and hoping its something minor. The numbers on the motor are as follows S/N 3572, Model #75671, 75HP OBC. It looks like someone has changed out the solenoid with a compatible one. Also looking to find where I might be able to find the gasket /seal for the little glass fuel bulb.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75 hp Chrysler Motor wont stay running

Welcome.
If you using starting fluid,stop.
It wipes any protective oil from the cylinders.
Check the compression and spark first.
It sounds like a fuel delivery problem.
Start with the tank, line.
Then the filter.
Check for water in the gas.
Then change the diaphram in the fuel pump.
Then clean the carb.
Ethanol is NOT our friend.

Last edited:

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you sure about the gap on the plugs. I know its an old motor sounds awful close.

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you sure about the gap on the plugs. I know its an old motor sounds awful close. However it does sound like a fuel problem.