Getting very frustrated with my 90 hp Force!!

floatfisher

Cadet
Just wondering if anyone can help here a little (you all have helped out a bunch already, sorry for so many questions!!). Well I thought I had a gas delivery problem, and still might. I bought an external tank and new hose filled it with 6gallons and a quart of oil and put it on the boat (I wont go in to detail about the tank leaking all over the truck bed and the boat!!!!). I can now prime the bulb and seems like there is gas going to the motor (I pulled the plugs and they are wet). Now I try and start the motor and it seems like the battery is dead or almost dead. Tried charging it but the motor tries to turn but very slowly. I hooked the jumper cables up to the truck and to the battery and still the same?!?!

Gas issue, not sure?

Battery issue, not sure now?

One thing I did notice was the starter would pop up to start the motor and not always drop back down when the key was disengaged. The last time I tried to start the motor the starter stayed up and when I took a little pressure off of it from the fly wheel it dropped back down?!!?

Starter issue??

I am going camping with the family in 2 weeks and we are supposed to take the boat to Sampson for a few days. I would really like to have this issue fixed and be able to sue the boat with out being too worried about getting stranded on the lake!!

Thinking I should try and find a mechanic and try and get it fixed, if that can happen it 2 weeks!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Mike

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Getting very frustrated with my 90 hp Force!!

Have you checked compression? I'd start there...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Just wondering if anyone can help here a little (you all have helped out a bunch already, sorry for so many questions!!). Well I thought I had a gas delivery problem, and still might. I bought an external tank and new hose filled it with 6gallons and a quart of oil and put it on the boat (I wont go in to detail about the tank leaking all over the truck bed and the boat!!!!). I can now prime the bulb and seems like there is gas going to the motor (I pulled the plugs and they are wet). Now I try and start the motor and it seems like the battery is dead or almost dead. Tried charging it but the motor tries to turn but very slowly. I hooked the jumper cables up to the truck and to the battery and still the same?!?!

Gas issue, not sure?

Thanks,
Mike

Well, you should have only put in 16 ounces of oil, not a quart. No buggy, but may foul a plug.

Disconnect all battery, starter, and starter solenoid cables, one at a time.

Start at the battery, disconnect, clean, check inside of the rubber insulation to see if the cable is corroding inside, or if the wires are green, or crumbly.
Leave the battery disconnected while working on the other cables.

Follow the cables to the starter solenoid and starter.
Disconnect, clean, attach and tighten each one.

If you find bad corroded cables, replace them.

Connect the battery and give it a try.

Clean the starter bendix shaft. Do not oil or grease it.
Put a small amount of wd40 on your finger and put it on the shaft.

If the starter won't spin fast enough, you may need to rebuild or replace the starter.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Like I said on the other site.Compression test.