1972 20hp Chrysler leaking burnt oil question

3rdMarDiv

Seaman Apprentice
Working a "72" Chrysler for some time and just started testing on it (yesterday). After running it out on the lake this morning I came in and noticed what looks like burnt oil and water mix draining out of two small holes in the lower motor leg just above the gear housing. Checked the gear lube and it looks like new...:frusty:

Any suggestions would be appreciated...:confused:

Attachments

• DSC05292.jpg
    DSC05292.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC05294.jpg
    DSC05294.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC05295.jpg
    DSC05295.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 0

Nordin

Commander
Re: 1972 20hp Chrysler leaking burnt oil question

That is unburned fuel from the exhaust, just normal if you run at low RPM:s or trolling.
Maybe check the air/fuelmixture screw. Should be 1-1,5 out from slightly seated.

This old 2 stroker does not burn fuel very good and push it out through the exhaust.

3rdMarDiv

Seaman Apprentice

Nordin: Thank you for your response. Can't tell you how valuable input from guys like you is...:watermelon:

I'm a paid up member of MyTractorForum and those guys have been invaluable helping me with small engines. Just started getting into these outboards and thought it would be a piece of cake. My experience with small engines has been a big help, but these are different animals...:laugh:

I don't have a high speed valve just low speed and it's at 1 to 1 1/4 turns. I will be putting a tach on it.

Just as a point of interrest...what are the two small holes for...:noidea:

Thanks so much again, Gary

Nordin

Commander

Those holes are for draining the leg from water. Exhaust and coolingwater are ending up in the middleg and then going out through the snourt.
BDW. The middleg is filled up with water when you put the leg into the water and acting as a silenter for the engine.