force 1988 85 hp charging 16.15 volt

strikerz28

Recruit
hi there , that my first time having a boat and i need help whit this trouble.
i reed on my voltmeter direct on the battery 16.15 volt at full speed , this model of engine do not have voltage regulator
only a rectifier. and i have try 3 kind of battery to see if it was the battery but no success.
the only thing i know , when i put a battery not charged it takes more time to go at 16 volt.
and to not reach 16 volt i have to put everything "ON" on the boat and not run at wot more than 15 minutes or i reach 16 volt

i have check all my connection and everything is in great shape

the only thing a can says is i was not having this trouble since i change the battery !! did i touch positive cable to negative or negative to positive and broke the rectifier ???
i don't have check the rectifier

tanks a lot of your helps.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: force 1988 85 hp charging 16.15 volt

Welcome to iboats.

That sounds normal to me.
It is an unregulated system, voltage will go over 16 occasionally.
The only thing it might hurt would be electronics like fish finders, but those may just shut down due to over or under voltage.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

My 1988 125HP motor reads 16+ volts at WOT with a rectifier. I would agree with roscoe. What you're seeing is normal.

Jiggz

Captain

Agree it is normal. If you want to regulate it you have two options either replaced the existing rectifier with a combo rect-regu or just add in a regulator.

strikerz28

Recruit

tanks you i appreciate your fast feed back i don't want to be stock in the middle of the lake with my family !!
if every one said it normal im glad to ear it and im gonna return on the lake soon

can you tell me whats kind of battery i must take to keep it alive for a long time
or all kind of battery can take charging of 16 volt ?

tanks a lot everyone