Lower unit linkage problem 1974 Chrysler 60HP

66Poncho

Recruit
Arggh... this has very very frustrating. My first boat motor I have ever worked on. I am a car nut and worked and rebuilt many motors. I bought a used 1974 Chrysler 60HP. It starts and ran good. Problem is it did not pump water. I removed the lower unit to look at the impeller. It turned out to be fine. The whole lower unit was full of dirt dobber nests and clogged up the whole lower unit. I flushed out everything and now it runs good and pumps water. Problem is I somehow got the lower unit shifting linkage messed up. It it hard to shift and will only go into one position and neutral but not the other gear. Not sure which is working forward or reverse. I pulled the lower unit off again and this time the whole linkage rod came out with the lower unit. It's that long 2 foot rod that attaches to the lower unit with the square connector with the pins. Now I have that long linkage rod hanging out of the lower end and do not know how to re-attach it. The hookup is hard to see and get access. It is buried in the motor and crankcase. Please help !