88 force 125 hp no spark on 1 and 4

billy8362

Cadet
Hay all took my boat out for the first time this year got about half way out and lost power. Got her home to find number 1 and 4 plugs are not firing. I replaced coil 3 and 4 and also the cdi box about 10 years ago. still have originals on 1 and 2. any help would be great.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 88 force 125 hp no spark on 1 and 4

Looking through my manual, the symptoms include 1)no spark all cylinders 2)no spark cylinders 1&2 3)no spark cylinders 3&4 4) no spark 1 cylinder. Nowhere does it put 1&4 together. Seems to me you've got some misplaced plug leads.

Jiggz

Captain

You need to switch the CDM's on 1 to 2 and the one from 3 to 4 and see if the misfiring follows. Just make sure you mark original wiring. If the no spark follows, you have bad CDM if not then try switching the coils apply the same logic for troubleshooting. Remember the wiring stays the same just switch the components for troubleshooting.

billy8362

Cadet

You need to switch the CDM's on 1 to 2 and the one from 3 to 4 and see if the misfiring follows. Just make sure you mark original wiring. If the no spark follows, you have bad CDM if not then try switching the coils apply the same logic for troubleshooting. Remember the wiring stays the same just switch the components for troubleshooting.

I switched 1 and 2 coils from the cdm and no spark followed. so coil is good on 1 and 2. ran out of day light to try and switch 3 and 4 coils. i do not believe i mixed wires up when installed new cdm about ten years ago. checked wires all colors matched. is it possible for both of them to go out at the same time. I have priced new cd modules for this engine and dang they are $451 dollars. I remember when I bought the cd module and the 2 coils in a kit for around $200. I was going to check voltage on stator and trigger tomorrow. thanks for the input any more ideas would help.

foodfisher

Captain

If you go with two-one cylinder no spark senarios, the possible causes are,defective spark plug/defective coil/or defective trigger assembly.