85hp Force power trim

muxum89

Recruit
Glad to join the forums!!
So I'm brand new to the boating world and just bought a 1989 maxum...Have a question since my boat was not power trim equipped.
Q- will power trim unit from a 1990 120hp force outboard be compatible with my 1989 85hp Force outboard???
Seems this power trim unit is some what of a rarity in my area.

muxum89

Recruit
Re: 85hp Force power trim

That great news this unit will fit!! I knew this forums wold be a great help!! I have to drive 3 hours away just to get this used motor with power trim no controls included or wiring included... maybe we could discuss what all goes into wiring from scratch a power trim??

Would it be less confusing to call this thread being so random closed and delete, and start discussions over power trim.....

Last edited:

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's not bad to wire but if you got all the wires then don't move them from where they are and is thd motor a 3 wire or 4 most are three and the older pumps use car starter like relays and newer ones use small plastic relays.

muxum89

Recruit

It didnt fit, the hydraulic cylinder is to long to attach to my set up.

RRitt

Captain

It didnt fit, the hydraulic cylinder is to long to attach to my set up.

then one of the two engines isn't what it claims to be. ALL three cylinder and larger force outboard trim systems made before 1992 will fit ALL three cylinder and larger Force outboard engines made before 1992. No exceptions.

muxum89

Recruit

Your information is correct. My problem is the guy sold me the motor saying it was 1990 but after running the numbers turns out to be a 2001!!!! So back to the search to find my power trim. Thinking of going with one of those OEM"s but not sure how great they work. I know they make the motor sit back a few inches.

dl_sledding

Cadet

Maxum: you gonna sell the power tilt/trim system that you have for pre-93 Force?

I have a 70's Chrysler 70 horse 3cyl that may like that...

Thanks!