1996 Force 120 with charging issues

Arandi

Cadet
Hi, I have a 1996 Force 120 outboard with charging issues.
Is possible to mesure the AC voltage with a multimeter? I know that the AC voltage comes from yellow wires.
Could someone explain me step by step?

Another cuestion, the 01-154-16 Reg/Rec is suitable for my aoutboard?

Thanks in advance.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Force 120 with charging issues

Hook the voltmeter up to the battery.
It should be at 12v. Then start and check the voltage.
It should raise some, rev it up and it should show a higher reading.
What/where are the part #s from? More info?

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

The rectifier only produces DC voltage not AC.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

You are correct that you can measure the AC output of the stator at the yellow wires. Start the motor and rev. up to at least 2000 RPM's and measure across the two yellow leads. You should see about 16 volts AC. If not, disconnect the wires from the rectifier/regulator and check again. If still not getting correct AC voltage, the stator may be bad. If you are getting the correct AC voltage but not seeing 13.5 - 14.5 Volts DC on the red wire from the rect./reg. at 2000 RPM's then the rectifier/regulator is probably bad.

Yes the universal regulator/rectifier P/N 01-154-16 will work. It doesn't have a separate tachometer connection, so you'll have to piggy back off of one of the yellow wires if you need to..

Amazon.com: Sports Parts Universal Regulator/Rectifier 01-154-16: Automotive

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

To measure stator AC output, put red lead on one of the yellow wires, and put the black lead on the other yellow wire. If you put the red lead on one of the yellow wires, and the black lead to ground, you'll measure slightly higher than normal AC voltage on one yellow lead and no voltage on the other one. Kind of confusing.

It's the same part on Amazon and $5 cheaper. Both have free shipping.