1987 force 50 hp lower unit problem

1987force50

Recruit
Hello, I have a 1987 force 50 hp lower unit problem. Just installed another front gear because the last one had two teeth busted off. No problem with seals and no water in lower unit. Installed new front gear. Took it out last weekend and ran fine on the way out. Started the trip back and at half throttle popped back out of gear. Can run at 8-10 mph only. Faster than that it kicks out of gear. One thing I did notice. The top pinion gear race just sits on top of bearing and is not pressed in. ??? Verified prop is not slipping. Any ideal whats causing this. I appreciate your help. Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 force 50 hp lower unit problem

Kicking out of gear? Could be??? the cable needs adjusting? Or the clutch dog is worn and the edges rounded?
Take it apart and see if the dog is shot or not assembled right? If one side is rounded turn it around. The dog can be machined to clean up the edges?
That's the way the race is.

1987force50

Recruit

Thanks for you reply. I did inspect the clutch dog prior to reinstalling. I actually reversed the clutch dog so the almost like new reverse side is now engaging the front gear. I'm pretty sure your right about the clutch dog/cable adjustment. I don't think I can make the adjustment at top of motor. If, not I will have to losen the 4 bolts that hold the lower unit, disconnect the carter pin that connects the upper and lower shift rod. I can turn the lower half of the shift rod here which is threaded into the botton to make adjustment. It's a nightmare getting the carter pin back in. Theres only an inch or so room to reinstall the carter pin once both halves of the shift rod are connected. I'll have to take it out on the water this wekend to verify this works. Never kicks out of gear with water hose - just when it's under a load. I'll let you know if this works. Thanks so much for your help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

They NEVER do anything wrong in the driveway :)

1987force50

Recruit

They NEVER do anything wrong in the driveway :)

Extened forward shift rod 2 1/2 turns and it worked . Had it out Sunday. Worked like a champ. Can't believe I got away with one. I was due. Again thanks for you help.