1994 Force 120 Unusual Lower Unit Capacity Issue...

thegreatgarloo

Recruit
I have read the old but popular thread here about the fluid capacity of 90/120 hp Force engines being 22.5 oz. Its also verified on several online lubricant manufacturers websites. However, I just changed the lube in my engine and put in 32oz, I just got a little bit out of the rear hole and none out of the front.

By all indications it could take a bit more to fill it to specs. The owners manual doesnt show capcity so I can only go by what I found here and online.

I have owned the engine since new so I have done it a few times over the years and I cant remember how much it took in the past. I think I just kept adding until it flowed from the top not paying attention to how much it took until this time.

I have the engine trimmed perfectly level and its operating normally, just like always. Any thoughts on why it seems to hold a lot more lube than specified? thanks for your help!

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 1994 Force 120 Unusual Lower Unit Capacity Issue...

Specs can vary by different "sources". Fill in the fill hole and stop when it comes out the vent hole. Mark the amount somewhere so, like me, you don't have to rely on your memory.

thegreatgarloo

Recruit

Specs can vary by different "sources". Fill in the fill hole and stop when it comes out the vent hole. Mark the amount somewhere so, like me, you don't have to rely on your memory.

Yea I guess that is what I will ultimately do, more curious than anything. You are definitely correct about writing it down, funny how that becomes more and more important.....

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

1990 - 1994 120HP motor takes 35oz. 1995 and later take 22.5oz. Like foodfisher suggested, fill it until it comes out of the vent. I also wait about another 30 minutes and top it off again. I find that it usually will take an ounce or two more. I guess it takes some time for the thick gear oil to settle into all the nooks and crannies in the lower unit.