Upgrade Powerhead on 1990 90hp Force to a 125

snowbrd84

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 90hp Force outboard on my 18 foot Bayliner Capri and it has had issues since I bought it. I was wondering how difficult it would be/would it work to just swap in a powerhead from a 125 Force. The lower unit is in great shape and I dont really have the means to remove the entire outboard... Can you just swap powerheads from 90hp to 125? It would seem to me that if it is possible, that it wouldnt be all that complicated right? All the wiring and controls would all be the same?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Upgrade Powerhead on 1990 90hp Force to a 125

Yes you can do that but, you have to have a really good understanding of what kind of shape that the 125HP motor is in. You may be exchanging one set of problems for another.

If the motors have the same ignition system, then the wiring should be pretty straight forward. Just my opinion but it is easier to swap the whole motor than power heads. The power head can be real stubborn to get separated from the lower leg.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

102_6757.jpg102_6759.jpg

Yes, swapping the powerhead can be done BUT: you need to remove all the cowling to get at the bolts, then as stated above, some are difficult to remove from the midleg. It is WAY easier and quicker to simply swap the engine--IF the donor is running well.

The complete powerhead for a 125 weighs in north of 125 pounds but the whole engine is only about 275. SO: with an additional 2 men and a boy, you could manhandle the engines on and off relatively easily. In fact, I am not particularly big or strong--5'9" 160 pounds-- and I have in the past manhandled an 85 off a stand and into my truck by myself. Wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis though! LOL. If you have a sturdy tree handy and a come-along, the job is even easier.

With my hoist, I regularly switch engines in about an hour. Now, a hoist is not absolutely necessary: You can lower the front of the trailer and block under the skeg with the engine vertical. Then, with two people stabilizing, raise the trailer unitl the engine clamps clear the transom. Then simply lay the engine on its side--no lifting involved. Reverse the process to mount the new engine.

snowbrd84

Petty Officer 1st Class

View attachment 201386View attachment 201387

Yes, swapping the powerhead can be done BUT: you need to remove all the cowling to get at the bolts, then as stated above, some are difficult to remove from the midleg. It is WAY easier and quicker to simply swap the engine--IF the donor is running well.

The complete powerhead for a 125 weighs in north of 125 pounds but the whole engine is only about 275. SO: with an additional 2 men and a boy, you could manhandle the engines on and off relatively easily. In fact, I am not particularly big or strong--5'9" 160 pounds-- and I have in the past manhandled an 85 off a stand and into my truck by myself. Wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis though! LOL. If you have a sturdy tree handy and a come-along, the job is even easier.

With my hoist, I regularly switch engines in about an hour. Now, a hoist is not absolutely necessary: You can lower the front of the trailer and block under the skeg with the engine vertical. Then, with two people stabilizing, raise the trailer unitl the engine clamps clear the transom. Then simply lay the engine on its side--no lifting involved. Reverse the process to mount the new engine.

I didnt realize they were that light, i may just try and get a complete 120 to swap on if i can find one at a good deal.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

AHEM! Bethesda is not really that far from me and I have LOTS of engines. Send me a PM if interested.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Way easier to swap motors than the powerhead.
The gearing is different in a 125 compared to a 90.