Force '90 90HP outboard not shifting (stuck in forward) after lower unit re-installed

jeff1447

Recruit
Hello,
First time poster here. I have searched this topic and found several relevant hits, but I still have to ask:

I re-installed the lower unit of my 1990 90HP Force after putting a new water pump on, and being novice did inadvertently remove the pivot pin during all the process (I know, dumb, long story). Anyway, got it the lower unit back on after some struggle and of course it is in FWD all the time when I start it, no matter which way I shift it on controls.

With the pivot pin, I can indeed find the hole (what is part name?) if I move the vertical shaft around and line it up no problem. But then the problem is it still doesn't shift into neutral with the pin installed, prop doesn't turn freely.

The posts I read say it will ultimately require taking the lower unit off again AND involve disassembly. But on this unit, even when I do take prop off and disassemble, I don't see how I could ever get hands in there to do anything, as it doesn't appear to "split" apart.
So to the final point: Is there anything else that can be done here and/or that I am missing anything else, without doing a complete disassembly of the lower unit? (Even if I had to pull the lower unit out again without complete disassembly would be better). At that point, I think I am taking it in to experts.
Thanks everyone.