1988 85 hp force overheat buzzer not working and engine does at idle. Please help

Sloppy78

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1988 Bayliner trophy Bass boat with a 85 hp force engine on it. I am having two problems with my boat And any help would be appreciated.

1) I bought a new overheat sensor and buzzer and it is still not working after I installed it. I read that when you turn the key to start the engine the buzzer should sound a few seconds to test its working. I hear nothing. What else can it be? I've checked my connections and seem correct but I'm not too good with electrical. Any ideas?

2) The book has been sitting for about two years unran. I brought it into the mechanic and had the water pump replaced and everything checked out. He put a marine stabilizer into the gas tank to clean out the engine and not Only does it smoke a lot but it will not stay running in idle even after being run for an hour straight. Is there anything else I can do so it won't die out all the time ? Thanks so much.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 1988 85 hp force overheat buzzer not working and engine does at idle. Please hel

1) No buzz till it overheats. Testing is up to someone else to explain. 2) Heavy smoking in my case was due to a plugged fuel recirculating system, also causes poor idling. Also check/clean plugs and idle RPM's if you can get it to idle.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 85 hp force overheat buzzer not working and engine does at idle. Please hel

Your motor shouldn't make ANY noise when you first start.
The buzzer is for overheat only.
Key on,ground out the orange lead to any spot on the block.
It should make the buzzer go off.
If not??? Under the dash should be the buzzer.Small black/round with 2 wires.
Remove it and supply power to the unit.One post ground teh other hot. Should sound off. No noise???
Replace with any 12 V horn, car horns or even motorcycle horns work and make more noise than the original.

Running,stalling: What's the rpm's in the drive?Should be,1100 In the water in gear 750-800.
Do a compression and spark test.
Heavy smoke,try a seperate tank with 50-1 mix. 3 gal gas/8oz oil.
No additives or stabilizers.
Front/top of the carbs.There is a screw head.It controls the air/fuel mix.
Set these screws at 1 turn out.Be very gentle when turning in.They are brass and can be bent or have a groove put in them and ruin them.
Oh yea Welcome, Where you located? You might be close to someone who can help??

Sloppy78

Seaman Apprentice

Hi fellas!
Thanks for the quick responses! I live in Plainfield Illinois.
Ok for the buzzer test I've read about the orange wire ground test... And Again I'm not too good with electrical but not afraid to try it. What I don't understand is when you say ground the orange wire to the block.... I only see 1 solid black wire coming from the sensor to the wiring board. Then directly across from that it is another screw with a wire coming off a screw going into a sleeve of wires into the boat. When I use the power tester light pen. I put the clip on a screw to ground and when the pen touches the screw that the sensor is attached to the light lights up. So it's getting power. I guess ill take the actual alarm off again and put power to it and see what happens. It's a bit rough for me though. I'm 6'4 250 lbs... Not easy fitting in that little spit haha!

As far as the idle/smoke issue ill try the different tank suggestion this weekend. Like I said the mechanic put stable in it and I had put sea foam in it the day I got it so the smoke may be from that but will check any suggestions just to be safe.

Does anyone know where I can get detailed diagrams for this boat to refer to when I need to fix something? All my papers were stolen and I have nothing to refer to.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Tach and stuff 004.jpgTach and stuff 003.jpg
Take a piece of wire.
Strip both ends.
Then key on,touch the orange lead lug to the black lead lug.
That grounds out the sender making the buzzer sound off.
Too much stuff added to the gas, can do damage to your motor.
It can strip the oil from the cylinders.
If you use the boat a lot,you really don't need to add anything but ethanol stabilizer.
When you winterize? Then add Sta-bil to a FULL tank.

As far as detailed diagrams??? Get the FACTORY manual. The Clymer is ok
When changing oil in the lower unit,be careful when draining.There is a screw on the side/front that is a DO NOT TOUCH.It's a linkage pin and you'll have lots of trouble if it's removed???
First pic is the drain,second is the NO screw.

Sloppy78

Seaman Apprentice

Ok did ground test on buzzer. It worked! Sounded like a frog choking on a m&m but it did buzz! But still wouldn't sound when i tried firing up the motor. So here's my flippin luck... I took the sensor out to make sure it was sitting correctly and went to put it back in and dropped the pressure ring that holds the sensor in down the inside of the motor housing and can't see it or get it out. As long as it won't hurt anything it can stay there and ill just buy a new one.

foodfisher

Captain

Third mention. It won't and shouldn't sound off at startup. Only if the engine is overheating.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Take the frog and the m@m throw them in the trash.
Replace with a car horn or motorcycle horn.
The buzzer is too small and can't be heard above a running motor.
Magnet on a stick?
If the buzzer comes on when the key is turned?? Somethings WRONG!!!

Sloppy78

Seaman Apprentice

Took it out thurs to heidecke lake. Ran great ilde still dies gonna try again tomorrow. Anyone on this forum have the same boat and was on the same lake the same day as I. ?

Sloppy78

Seaman Apprentice

Yep still won't ilde. I'm lost.... And makes loading the boat on trailer a pain in the can!

foodfisher

Captain

So? where's your answer on the idle rpm's and recirc. clean out? Clean plugs have an amazing affect also.