1985 85hp Force Fuel Delivery Problem-Carbuerators? Fuel Pump?

rlasiak

Cadet
Well guys, I have a problem that I have been working on for 2 weeks now that I am really trying to get solved today so I can take the wife and kids out on my new toy. I picked up a 18'8" Bayliner Capri about 3 weeks ago that had an old 85hp Force that was not running. I was able to locate the same motor that is in way better shape. Well the motor is running but it seems to have problems with fuel. I get fuel pouring out of the bottom two carbs (it is a 3 cylinder), I can't get it to idle unless I turn the air adjustment screws almost all of the way in and then it only bogs down and stalls when I put it in forward and give it some gas. But when I back the screws up it idles real rough. When I can get it into forward and opened up one cylinder goes in and out almost like it is starving for air. I believe that it is flooding. I did a compression check and I got 125,124,121 and all holding. I ohmed out all of my electronics which are good and I did a visual spark check with the plugs grounded to the head. I sprayed the carbs with some carbuerator spray and ran a super concentrated mix of liquid carb cleaner through them. It really has me stumped as I am better with being told how to fix something and not just figuring it out by myself. Luckily I have a whole other motor for spare parts other than the stator which is what was wrong with the other one. I appreciate any and all help that is offered. Thanks.

P.S. I went through 11 gallons of gas yesterday in 2 hours of running and most of that at idle.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 85hp Force Fuel Delivery Problem-Carbuerators? Fuel Pump?

First thing? Spark check?All 3 plugs working?
Then next check the fuel pump diaphram.
Then clean the carbs,if they set for any time? They might be corroded.
I don't use anything but Dawn Soap or Purple Power to clean my carbs.
If they are real bad you might need a carb cleaner.Don't soak them unless you completly dismantle the carb.Welch plugs included.
While carbs are off,check the reeds for being bent,broken etc.
Check the fuel for water.
The inital setting is 1 turn out on the air screws.Remove the needles and see if they are smooth, no grooves.
The needle/seat again the point on the needle/smooth.

rlasiak

Cadet

Gonna head out to the yard and get it dismantled now. I will keep you updated and post pics if necessary. Thank You!

rlasiak

Cadet

Well I took apart my fuel pump and I had 2 tears in the diapraghm so I replaced that. I was kind of a little nervous about taking apart my carbs because not knowing how long it's been since they've been rebuilt I didn't want to ruin any gaskets. So I got her running and I then noticed that she was pouring fuel out of the bottom two overflow holes on the carbs. So I went ahead and took the middle and bottom carb off. The floats seemed in good shape and not jammed. I then pulled alll 3 idle adjustment screws out and 2 of them were badly bent or warped should I say. I replaced them with 2 from my spare motor. Reassmbled and got her running and no more excess fuel pouring out. She still does seem to idle a little high. My only other concern is that in order for me to get her smoothed out I had to turn the idle adjustment screws out about 3 turns. Is this normal? It's the same on all three carbs so to me it seems that it is okay. Took her to the creek last night and she ran great. Thanks for the help. Please let me know about the idle screws.