Force 9.9hp steering problem

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
My 1991 force 9.9hp has giving me a lot of steering issues... Recently the motor has been detaching itself from the steering bracket on the lower part (refer to the pic below). The shaft that turns it stiffens up and is very difficult to move until it finally turns free after 5 min of turning it back and forth with a large screw driver. It has plenty of grease. any ideas?

Making a slight turn at full throttle and it coming loose and is not fun, pop completely off and the whole motor almost went in the water, running and in forward gear (luckily at slow speed)i was holding the whole motor with one arm on the tiller handle and push the kill switch on the tiller arm. hauled it into my boat and had my little 2hp yamaha took its place. scared the crap out of me.

any ideas or help???
force 9.9 steering.JPG

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Force 9.9hp steering problem

Directly left of the yellow box is an ear with bolt holes. Looks to be broken.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

That's not my steering bracket, just a pic off the internet of the part. nothing is broken to my knowledge.

wickware

Lieutenant

Is this your steering bracket (attached) or similar at this site listed below? If you have jerks that you are seeing grease from but still have the resistance, have you disassembled to inspect for resistance? Something might be corroding or etc that an inspection might reveal.

Has the history shown this to be getting worse if the motor is not new to you??

Good Luck!

http://www.**********/parts/search/...1J/SWIVEL BRACKET - STERN BRACKETS/parts.html

Attachments

• 41[1].jpg
    41[1].jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

yeah that looks like it...
i have no idea how to take the thing apart. all i know is how to remove the motor from the bracket.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

anymore help with my problem it still stiffens up and i cant use the motor due to safety issues... i dont know if theirs a broken shear pin, lack of lubrication, idk...

ANY HELP WILL BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks in advance