1990 Force Outboard - Lower Unit Trouble - My Bad :(

Vetteandi

Cadet
Hi All,
New to forums! - Long time reader, first time poster. :)
The info here has been great and very resourceful.

After 11 years, I jumped back into boating and picked up a used 1990 Bayliner Capri with a 90hp Outboard. Used to have one a long time ago (bought it new) so when I saw it, price was right and so I though I would get her seaworthy again.

Motor runs good, good compression, but only thing she needed was a new water pump and probably new lower end seals.

So, I take the lower unit off, inside has a lil corrosion, but nothing major and I replace the water pump. Old one was torn up and impeller was really bad. New one went in like clockwork, BUT....

The dreaded "I cant get the lower unit back on!"

After some futzing around with it, I did get it back on, but I think I screwed up a couple of things...

a) When the lower unit came out, 2 parts that were at the top of the spline (Where it goes into the power head) fell off. I did not see how they went, so they are a rubber seal of some sort, and a metal spacer. I put the spacer on first, and then the rubber seal. It seemed to match what was the order in the micro fish on Mercury's web page.

b) When putting it back, it did not go ALL the way in. I did not have a helper to spin the flywheel like most posts say to do, but I was able to get it with about 1/2 inch of space before it sat snug on the lower leg. Looked like the new water pump inlet was preventing it from going on perfectly, so it needed a little push. From here, I bolted it up, and it went in with almost zero resistance.

c) After doing this, I realized that I did not have it in Forward (like some say to do) , but in Neutral. So, after it went back and I put the shifter pin back in, and now it WONT go into reverse, AND NOW, my safety switch is about an inch off her mark to push the button so she wont turn over.

So did I knock something off, or did I do something wrong and more importantly, is it something I can fix?

I also notice that I cannot get into reverse at all (under a lot of tension). Seems when I take the throttle cables off their pegs on the power head , It moves fine, but something is just not right.

HELP!:blue:

Vetteandi

Cadet
Re: 1990 Force Outboard - Lower Unit Trouble - My Bad :(

Ok, I fixed it.. Figured out the whole be in gear, etc thing. So it went back in just right, but now I have a different issue.

Seems there is a rod that connects to the trigger assembly that it just near the safety switch. The bottom of the rod has a odd shaped part that is hitting the safety switch that is connected to the forward throttle cable. This is the part that slides and pushes the kill switch in so the outboard can be started. If I move it out of the way "manually" I am able to engage F and R and Neu with no issues, but when I go in and out of either forward or reverse, it seems the rod does not slide the trigger assembly all the way back and then it "locks up" the throttle until I manually move it again.

It looks like a spring is needed or something that can be done to make it so it goes back.

Any help would be appreciated.:D

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

No springs.You doing this in the water or drive?Try turning the prop with your foot when shifting in and out of gear.
Pics?
It should have gone right back on when you took it off.No need for in gear or not.

Vetteandi

Cadet

No springs.You doing this in the water or drive?Try turning the prop with your foot when shifting in and out of gear.
Pics?
It should have gone right back on when you took it off.No need for in gear or not.

Thanks JerryJerry!

Rather than Pics, I made a quick video this AM to show you the issue at hand. I got the lower unit on now and neutral, rev, forward is fine, its just the darn shifter now needs to be adjusted and I don't know where to start to ensure I dont mess with timing, etc...